In this report, we aggregate and present dozens of statistics about how surveillance is being used in the real world. Recently, we conducted an in depth survey of 84 integrators around the world, asking them a variety of detailed questions. For background, review the demographics and approach of the survey.
We learned a lot and our PRO members had very positive feedback to the program. Next week, we are starting a new series asking a new round of questions. Before we go there, this report catches up on the questions and statistics we have generated in the last few months.
We asked 25 different questions to integrators including:
- What is the average number of cameras you deploy per site? - Results
- Among all IP cameras, do you deploy more SD or MP? - Results
- How often do you deploy Multi-Megapixel Cameras? (3MP, 5MP or higher)
- Do you offer / sell VSaaS? (Hosted or Managed Video) - Results
- How often do you deploy video analytics?
- How often do you deploy PSIM? (Physical Security Information Management)
- What is your favorite VMS / NVR System? Why? - Results
- What is your favorite IP camera manufacturer? Why?
- How often do you use IR lighting for outdoor cameras?
- Do you use cameras with integrated IR lighting? (i.e. LEDs built into camera itself) - Results
- What, if any, is your favorite wireless system to use with video surveillance? Why? - Results
- Compared to 3 years ago, how often are you deploying PTZs? - Results
- When deploying VMS software, what type of computer do you normally prefer?
- When deploying VMS software on Commercial Off the Shelf Hardware, what do you prefer?
- What type of network setup do your customers most commonly use?
- For recording mode, what do you use most often?
- What is the average frame rate your customers record at?
- What device do you use to focus / setup IP cameras?
- How important is auto back focus / auto focusing capabilities?
- What type of lens do you most commonly use?
In the public section below, we provide 3 tables summarizing the results and in the member's only section we aggregate all the other statistics.
Average Number of Cameras Deployed
The average number of cameras deployed per site was approximately 20. Here's the breakdown:
Frame Rate Used
The average frame rate used for recording is approximately 6 - 10 fps, far lower than the 'max' frame rate available in most cameras:
Full results and commentary can be found at: Average Frame Rate Statistics Examined.
VMS Hardware Usage Statistics
While a clear majority prefer using COTS hardware for VMS software, a notable 1/3rd preferred apliances:
Full results and commentary can be found at: VMS / NVR Hardware Usage Statistics Examined.