"Fear Mongering": Hikvision USA Cybersecurity Director Dismisses Chinese Government Ownership ConcernsBy: John Honovich, Published on Feb 16, 2018
The facts are:
- The Chinese government created Hikvision and is Hikvision's controlling shareholder.
- Hikvision's Chairman, a Communist Party Secretary, has pledged allegiance to the China Communist Party.
- Hikvision's VP of R&D simultaneously works for the Chinese government.
- China has a history of cyber attacks against the USA.
- China exerts authoritarian control of their country and people.
Despite that, in SP&T News, Hikvision USA Cybersecurity Director Chuck Davis simply dismisses concerns as fearmongering:
Unfortunately, for Davis and SP&T, Hikvision's own financials reveal the deception of that claim. It is not simply 'state-owned enterprises' owning stock, it is a CETHIK, a division created by the Chinese government to control Hikvision:
While Davis is an expert in cybersecurity, rather than politics and economics, he surely is smart enough to read through those primary documents to understand the truth about Hikvision's ownership and control.
Of course, he is in a difficult position. For him to continue being paid, he has to follow the party line (pun intended).
And cybersecurity is not simply about technical flaws, it is about countries adversarial to one's own exploiting systems (e.g., of companies they control) for geopolitical advantage. Just this week, The FBI, CIA and NSA say American citizens shouldn't use Huawei phones. And Huawei's Chinese government 'connections' are far less clear and definitive than Hikvision's.
Davis will continue his public relations tour and he should speak about and be questioned on Hikvision's Chinese government control. We encourage Davis to face these facts.