US Embassy Requires Hikvision CamerasAuthor: John Honovich, Published on Aug 29, 2016
The US Embassy in Kabul Afghanistan has required only Hikvision cameras in a new US federal government bid.
- Hikvision was founded from a Chinese government research institute
- To this day, the Chinese government is the 'controlling shareholder' of Hikvision
- Hikvision is overseen by a China Communist Party Committee and Hikvision has pledged to comply with China Communist Party's leadership
- Hikvision has a poor cybersecurity track record including Hikvision Chinese government installations being hacked
- The Chinese government has authorized $6 billion in funding to Hikvision in the past year
Quiz: See how well you know the relationship between Hikvision and the Chinese government with this 5 question quiz.
Bid Requirement Hikvision
The US federal bid calls for:
And only Hikvision will be accepted:
bids containing substitutions will be viewed as UNACCEPTABLE. If you are not able to deliver the line item as requested, DO NOT BID.
The cameras required are $100 - $150 commercial EXIR models:
Those cameras are solid commercial offerings (see our Hikvision EXIR test results) common in small to medium sized businesses but, even without the Chinese government ownership, are a strange choice for the high standards of sole source justification for federal facilities.
But the US government has filed a request for that with no meaningful visible defense:
On the positive side for Hikvision, it is a great endorsement for them and their massively growing US sales and marketing organization to get locked in to US federal installations.
On the other hand, it is a risk for the US government to be deploying Chinese government controlled surveillance cameras into high security federal facilities.
Vote - What Do You Think?
Second Poll (Updated)
By member request, here is a new second poll:
Most Recent Industry Reports
The world's leading video surveillance information source, IPVM provides the best reporting, testing and training for 10,000+ members globally. Dedicated to independent and objective information, we uniquely refuse any and all advertisements, sponsorship and consulting from manufacturers.