Subscriber Discussion

Best VMS / VSaaS For Home Use With Good Smartphone Alerts

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 14, 2018

Hello, 

I recently purchased 2 Hikvision cameras [DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS & DS-2DE4A425IW-DE ] for replacing a few nest cameras at my home residence (note Nest cameras aren't that great for outdoor use). 

My primary purpose of replacing these cameras is that they really didn't do great for any sort of identification without optimal conditions (very sunny , subject moving slowly, close proximity to camera). 

My current issue is that now I am trying to determine a good VMS or VSaaS system to use with these cameras that also has a good smartphone component for alerts (Google Pixel running android in my case).

I have not considered the default provider Hikvision VMS4200/4500 or a Hikvision NVR as I don't want my cameras to be easily susceptible to being compromised and becoming part of a botnet or ect. 

So far my research has led me to the following products as possible candidates:

1. DW Spectrum IPVMS

2. Milestone XProtect

3. Ivideon

Does anyone have any experience with these products listed above and how well they fair for home use along with getting push notifications via a smartphone app? 

Thanks for any assistance given on this matter. I am new to IPVM (just joined this week) so I am still researching and learning a lot (wish I had joined before my camera purchase lol). 

JH
John Honovich
Aug 14, 2018
IPVM

Kevin, welcome. It looks like you are already doing some good research.

One company that specializes in Hikvision remote access is Manything (we did a post but have not tested them).

Just to confirm, are you aware of Milestone's free 8 channel version? That's certainly the lowest cost option in terms of licenses or ongoing payments.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 14, 2018

Hi John, 

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I was aware of the milestone express + offering (which I still plan on reviewing) but from my research the free offering doesn't support smartphone push notifications without a Milestone care plus plan. 

I have no issues paying for good software so I would be happy to pay for the milestone care+ if it met my needs however when attempting to figure out what I would need licensing wise I found 152 different licensing options for the milestone software (confusing to say to least). 

Milestone xprotect on BHPhotvideo.com

Thankfully the licensing for the software doesnst look to bad but its a matter of trying to decipher what license I would need to make smartphone push notifications work. 

Sean Patton
Aug 15, 2018

I reached out to Milestone to get clarification on what exact licenses are required. I will update here when I get a response

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 15, 2018

Thank you so much Sean that will be extremely helpful since they seem to offer so many different skus of licensing. 

The good thing is that most of it looks affordable even for home use just the matter of purchasing the correct one. 

Jared Tarter
Aug 15, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi EU1,

You are correct that the push notifications to a mobile device require a Care Plus subscription.  However, Care Plus is not available on the free Essential+ product.  It has to be purchased with a sold product (such as Express+).  You would purchase it for the base license and the camera licenses.

Here are the part numbers for the Express+ licenses and the Care Plus licenses to cover two cameras (the Base license for Express+ does not need a Care Plus license).

- 1x XPEXPLUSBL (Express+ Base License)
 - 2x XPEXPLUSDL (Express+ Device License)
 - 2x YXPEXPLUSDL (One year Care Plus for Express+)

The above Care Plus license is for one year.  You can also purchase it for two years, three years, and five years.  The part number for Care Plus just changes to start with Y2, Y3, and Y5, respectively.

(4)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 15, 2018

Jared holy crap that was so very helpful thank you so much for taking the time to help clarify. :-)

I did try reading through the documentation but I was not able to find the info I was looking for and wasn't sure if Milestone reps would talk to end users about sales questions. 

So to make sure I understand you need care plus for each camera you plan on adding to the system so for my current example I would need two but if I planed on adding 4 cameras (which I do then I would need the following at a minimum)?

- 1x XPEXPLUSBL (Express+ Base License)
- 4x XPEXPLUSDL (Express+ Device License)
- 4x YXPEXPLUSDL (One year Care Plus for Express+)

Just want to make sure before I start tallying up all the costs. 

Also during the first 30 days do smartphone notifications work as part of the 30 day trail period (since you wouldn't have care plus during the trial)? 

My current requirements are:

-Solid Recording System that isn't a huge vulnerability risk

-Smart phone push notifications (not just email) of detected events

-Ability to export footage (hopefully to non propitiatory format)

Jared Tarter
Aug 15, 2018
Milestone Systems

Your understanding is correct.  You can add the extra two camera and the Care Plus for them up front or you can add it later.  If you add it later, the Care Plus for the two new cameras will be prorated so it expires the same time as the original two cameras.

The trial licenses don't include the Care Plus licensing.

For your requirements, Express+ will cover those.  For exporting, you can export in our native, proprietary format with a standalone player but you can also export in AVI and MKV format.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 15, 2018

Great thanks so then during the eval period pretty much the only thing that wouldn't work is smartphone push notifications. Is there anyway to evaluate the push notification features?

Also just to make sure sounds like the only re-occurring cost in this setup would be the care plus license (which would be renewed at the end of whatever term period was purchased correct? 

Besides the smartphone push feature what else is provided with care+? 

Jared Tarter
Aug 15, 2018
Milestone Systems

From the software perspective, everything is available with trial licenses.  The only thing that isn't is the cloud based services (push notification, customer dashboard, etc.).

For recurring costs, Care Plus is the only thing and it is optional (although you would lose the push notification feature and the capability to upgrade to new releases).

There is a comparison chart of the different Care levels here.  That page also has "Read More" buttons for each of the different Care levels that will go into a lot more detail.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 15, 2018

Jared, 

Thank you for all the information this has been very helpful as I now know what to purchase if I go the Milestone route after my testing. 

SD
Shannon Davis
Aug 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The disturbing fact no one is bringing up is the fact that you can buy Milestone from B&H Photo. 

(5)
(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 15, 2018
IPVM
VE
Vladimir Eremeev
Aug 15, 2018

Hello!

Interesting post because of description of user experience with Nest, concerns about Hik SW and placing Ivideon near Milestone. 

I have constant experience with Ivideon for a long time - because I'm a part of it's team :) You can connect your cameras to our cloud via Ivideon Server desktop SW - it's free of charge (payments only for archive in cloud) and make sure that it works fine. 

Any feedback appreciated :)

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 15, 2018

Hi Vladimir, 

I defiantly plan on evaluating ivideon as a possible solution. So far I have not been able to find any real reviews on the software except what is listed on the relevant smartphone app stores. 

While researching I found out that my cameras are not compatible with the ability to load the ivideon firmware directly on the cameras (even though it does support many other Hikvision cameras).

Do you know when support for direct loading of ivideon firmware for my model of cameras [DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS & DS-2DE4A425IW-DE ]  will be available? 

I will make sure to update this thread with any feedback on the relevant products I test but I can leave some early feedback right now in regards to your pricing. 

Looking at ivideon's pricing for either the cloud 10 (for home users) or cloud pro 10 (for business users) both state the pricing is per camera at either $99 or $100 per camera per year. 

For me someone looking to add 4 - 6 cameras that means I will be probably spending at least $400 - $600 per year for your system which for home use is defiantly not cheap (even compared to the other solutions). 

I do wish that ivideon offered a discount on the pricing for multiple cameras so that it wasn't quite so expensive. 

VE
Vladimir Eremeev
Aug 15, 2018

We'll try to make some reviews, it's a good point. 

DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS - is on G1 platform, we have FW for it - you can download it on our site. 

For DS-2DE4A425IW-DE (new R7) - we didn't have FW yet, planned for nex year. 

About pricing - cloud storage for recordings costs some money. We have no limitations for resolution, bitrate of connected cameras - you even can use Constant recording mode. Is there such proposal from someone else on market ?...

And if you store video locally (on SD card, or HDD of PC with Ivideon server SW) - we didn't take money for access for this recording, without limitations. In this case you use it for free. 

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 15, 2018

Vladimir thanks for the response. :-)

I actually contacted ivideon support yesterday and told them I didn't see my cameras listed and they were the ones who informed me that they were not supported to load the firmware on but said I could use the server instead. 

I'm happy to know that at least one of my cameras is supported but I didn't see it listed. 

Where would I get that firmware or is all the firmware the same for supported cameras? 

Yes I do agree that the cloud recording options do include alot (more on the business plans than on the home ones). 

I honestly am not sure why folks would choose the cloud 10 for home vs the cloud 10 pro for business since only the business plans allow continuous recording and they cost essentially the same (1 dollar difference per year). 

I do have a question for you about the motion detection alerts. I see it mentioned that ivideon has a lot less false positives for motion detection which would be great. 

Does ivideon support motion events detected by the camera itself? For instance the hikvision cameras support line crossing detection. So if i set that up on the camera would the ivideon software be able to then get that alert even though the camera would have been the device to trigger it?

Also If you store the footage locally are you still able to play it back via the website?

Thanks for the help with these questions. 

VE
Vladimir Eremeev
Aug 16, 2018

Yep, you can use Ivideon server for desktop for almost any camera on market. 

Your DS-2CD2H85FWD-IZS is on G1 platform, Hik constantly adds new models to it, we simply didn't add to our FW page yet. But platform the same that we have FW for. 

Page with FW https://docs.ivideon.com/display/IF/Hikvision

Our FW for cameras use motion detection of the camera. Ivideon server for desktop also can use it, and have own separate MD.

We didn't support line crossing detection yet. 

If you store footage locally you will be able to playback it via website, mobile app, Ivideon Client for desktop. We didn't limit access to local storage and didn't take money for it.

PS - we definitely need detailed review somewhere...

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 16, 2018

Thank you Vladimir this info is very useful.

MD
Matthew Del Salto
Aug 16, 2018
Hudson Security

+1 for DW Spectrum IPVMS.

The mobile app experience, desktop app and dw cloud connection without port forwarding makes it one of the best options especially for residential. The fact you are not tied down to single set of manufactures and can expand on your system makes it worthwhile in itself.

Edit: the server software has a much smaller footprint than milestone and requires a lot less resources.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 16, 2018

Matthew thanks for letting me know. DW also doesn't have a ton of reviews but their system definitely looked appealing as well. 

Sounds like you have some experience with that platform. 

Does the cloud platform let you view recorded video from your local instance or do the recording also go to the cloud? 

I'd also love to get your take on the mobile app and how well the push notifications work (does it allow near instatnious review of the triggered event or does it sit there buffering for more than 10 secs)? 

Last do you feel that it does an adequate job with reducing false positives for motion alerts (for instance when it's sunny n then gets cloudy that triggers motion events for my current nest setup since I guess it's only looking for pixel changes )?

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I'm happy to see there are so many robues options from at least my current 3 choices. 

MD
Matthew Del Salto
Aug 16, 2018
Hudson Security

The cloud platform simply lets you connect to your server without any port forwarding in the router. Full functionality of the system with a simple email login you make. You can easily review video and live on mobile with the cloud connection. So instead of logging into your router, port forwarding the server, setting up ddns etc you just create a simple cloud login and your server will be available no matter if your IP changes so long as the server has network connectivity. There is no recording to the cloud everything is local all it does is punch a hole in the firewall for remote access without router configuration.

I have not yet tested out any notifications on the app. All of the analytics are actually set inside the IP camera and are then passed to the server as events. So you can setup and fine tune line crossing detection in your Hikvision camera and receive these as actionable events. I guess false positives etc would rely on the particular camera's analytics.

Mobile app does not suffer from buffering there are ways to adjust quality and speed for fluent playback if you're on a slower wireless network.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 16, 2018

NX did a great job on the cloud management and remote access.   Does the mobile client support push notifications? I haven't seen this work yet on my demo system.

(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Aug 21, 2018
NetworkOptix

I work for NX.

To save your time: we do not have Notification Push yet.
We understand this is very needed feature and it's our very high priority to deliver it.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 21, 2018

Thanks for letting me know Sergey I appreciate the honesty. 

MD
Matthew Del Salto
Aug 21, 2018
Hudson Security

You can set an email notification for camera events. I find this usually accomplishes the same goal as push notifications.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Nov 07, 2019

Does NX support people detection analytics? I'm considering buying this for my home use and I'd like to avoid a bunch of false alarms from swaying foliage and shadows.

(1)
Sergey Bystrov
Nov 07, 2019
NetworkOptix

U4, we actively work on the plugin to our own VMS which will support object detection including people detection. The plugin is in the beta stage already and we will release it within 2 months. The plugin will have 2 versions: one is CPU optimized( low performance, no hardware dependencies), another - Nvidia GPU optimized.

Also, we actively work on native support of AI form top cameras manufacturers, but it will be released only in Feb with our next 4.1 release.

(2)
UM
Nov 07, 2019

That sounds great Sergey! Will the plugin also be available on the DW Spectrum VMS version? I'm in the USA.

Sergey Bystrov
Nov 07, 2019
NetworkOptix

yes.

(1)
AK
Adam Kinder
Aug 21, 2018

I am a personal user of DW Spectrum.  The VMS is one of the easiest to install and very easy to use.  Although, as Sergey mentioned there is no current push notifications, I still would not dismiss them.  You can download a trial license for 30 days and test it out yourself.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 21, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Although, as Sergey mentioned there is no current push notifications, I still would not dismiss them.

I also use DW and like it, however considering the title

Best VMS / Vsaas For Home Use With Good Smartphone Alerts

and that Sergey, while clearly engaged on the issue, is not committing to a release time frame yet, why not focus on the products that can solve the problem?

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 21, 2018

Yeah I plan on still testing them out and if I like it hoping they add push notifications soon. Lol that is one thing that nest did well (even if the video quality left something to be desired). I'm currently testing ivideon , milestone will be next then dw after that. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 30, 2018

Just wanted to take some time to update this discussion in case it helps anyone else. 

I have finished my testing with ivideon and don't think it will be the ideal solution for me.

Some specific things that I didn't like include:

-Doesn't support H.264+, H.265, or H.265+ (it only supports the base H.264 only)

- APP Push notifications randomly stopped working (though the email notifications worked every time without fail)

-The ability to share clips via their online method didn't work and just kept giving an error message when using the feature (you could however download the clips no problem)

- No activity/movement notification in the timeline (so harder quickly review movement only)

- 10 secs event notification clips with no ability to adjust them to make a longer clip. You could however go view the full video (if you subscribed the the right service) but then would have to hunt and peck to find the beginning of the clip. 

-Event based clips didn't let you view them in full screen on the website. Again you could go watch the full video in full screen but then again you would have to hunt and peck to find the beginning of the clip in the timeline. 

I have decided for my next set of testing to use 3 different virtual machines for 3 software platforms. 

-Milestone 

-DW Spectrum

-Blue Iris 

I am now working on starting the installation for Milestone. 

(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Nov 08, 2019

How'd the tests go?

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 04, 2018

avigilon.com/blue - iOS and Android push notifications based on analytic alarms, even for your Hikvision cameras. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 04, 2018

Thanks for the addition.

I would love to add this to my list to check out.

Is this able to be purchased by end users directly?

Also is there any free trial period so that I can evaulate how everything works?

Thanks

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 04, 2018

BLUE is purchased though Avigilon dealers.  It will work with basically any ONVIF camera or RTSP stream.   

Not sure about getting a free trial but you could be added to a current BLUE demo system to see how it works. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 04, 2018

Michael,

I would love to be added to a Blue demo system to evaluate. 

Would this be something that you can help me with? 

Also how would I go about finding an Avignon dealer for this product? Typically Avignon only works directly with partners (we have Avignon cameras at my office)?

Would also love to understand the pricing model (no prices listed on the site). If this is something you can help me please let me know and ill send you my email. 

Thanks

UM
Nov 06, 2019

Did you ever get pricing info on avigilon.com/blue? I'd be interested in that for home use also.

Sean Patton
Nov 06, 2019

We tested Blue in August 2019, and we paid ~$2,800 from an Avigilon dealer for an 8-port appliance and 1-year subscription for all 8 ports. The yearly subscription, which includes 30 days of event/alarm cloud storage for the cameras, was quoted just under $1,000.

That works out between $10 - $11 per camera per month, but it is not sold per camera per month, the appliance is licensed.

(3)
UM
Nov 07, 2019

Thanks Sean. That's out of my budget!

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Nov 07, 2019

Commercial offerings for Avigilon Blue vary by Avigilon dealer.

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 07, 2019

Sean, you paid $2800 for the appliance plus the subscription or was the 1-year sub subscription included for the $2800?

Sean Patton
Nov 07, 2019

The $2,800 was for the 8-port appliance and 1-year subscription for all 8 ports.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 04, 2018

Thanks for the addition. 

I would love to add this to my list to check out. 

Is this able to be purchased by end users directly? 

Also is there any free trial period so that I can evaulate how everything works?

Thanks

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Jul 08, 2020

Since some months have past since any discussion on this I thought I’d ask if anyone has any updates on a VMS or Vsaas with good reliable smartphone push alerts. Almost every residential customer I quote is solely concerned with mobile apps and notifications and that’s what all these consumer companies cater to (Vivent, arlo, nest, etc.). Honestly they work well for mobile app ease of use and notifications. Anyone have a more professional system they’ve tested that is capable of the same reliability of push notifications on mobile apps? I love DW Spectrum but they still have not released a push notifications version of their software. Also can’t view bookmarks on mobile app so the AI analytics in cameras, tho they work well don’t flow over, to the mobile experience. Which is what everyone is looking for now days. Also tested Ivideon but it doesn’t have any AI features and even my $90 dahua cameras do that actually work well. Turning that AI into good reliable push notifications to mobile devices is the trick.

Alexander Ignatenko
Jul 08, 2020
Luxriot

As an option, you can try Luxriot Evo S, its Events & Actions manager can send push notification to the mobile application based on: recording errors, disk excluding, video lost, video restored, server connected/disconnected, motion events, VCA (analytics) events, digital input, user's events (software button pressed), scheduled and periodic event (clock event), events from external services (LPR, FR, API, OPC, access control), events from video walls, events for external data streams (data sources, POS systems): textual, or based on logical comparison of a variable value where the variable is extracted from external textual data stream.

Unfortunately, the complimentary Luxriot Evo version doesn't offer these push notifications, so you have to go for the paid version Evo S (or Evo Global if you like), which starts from as few as 4 cameras. Your $90 Dahua cameras' events are also supported, as any other major brands of course.

iOS and Android Clients :: Luxriot

SY
Suresh Yendrapalli
Jul 09, 2020
Duranc

Hello, you could try Duranc which offers web push notifications.

Duranc supports browser based push notifications for its analytics events (in addition to email and text messages). Customer can subscribe to receive these push notifications for events from the chrome browser on any device - smart phone or tablet or laptop. Notifications are delivered to the device on which the user subscribed for the notifications even when the user is not logged into the Duranc platform.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions