Cameras, like humans, have irises, controlling the light which hits the imager and impacting image details. However, cameras have multiple types of iris options - fixed, manual, and auto, and variants of each which can be confusing for new users and over-hyped by manufacturers.
In this tutorial, we look at:
- Iris basics: What they do and how they work
- How iris relates to shutter speed
- How iris relates to F-stop
- How they opening or closing the iris impacts images
- Auto vs. Manual iris options
- DC auto vs. P-Iris vs. iCS lenses
- Iris Type Rarely A Choice
In this tutorial, we explain the tradeoffs of each, how irises work and how they relate to shutter speed.