Hikvision has responded to IPVM's report on Hikvision's security code being cracked, both with a 2 page update to dealers and communication directly with IPVM.
In this note, we examine Hikvision's response, evaluating the positive and negative elements of it.
On the positive side, Hikvision:
- Revamped the password reset procedure to a method that is more challenging to crack
- Has been releasing new recorder firmware that makes an improved method available to users
On the negative side, problems remain:
- Hikvision knew about the cracked codes for a long time but never notified dealers until after IPVM published
- The new method still cannot be disabled
- The new method still risks being cracked