With the rise in exploits and growing awareness of cyber security issues in video surveillance, we tested ten different manufacturer's cameras. The verification and discovery in this test answers the following questions:
- Positive: Are you required to create a password?
- Positive: Are strong passwords enforced?
- Positive: Do user accounts auto lock after repeated failed logins?
- Negative: Are there hardcoded accounts?
- Positive: Is HTTPS support provided?
- Negative: Is the Telnet port defaulted open?
- Negative: Is the SSH port defaulted open?
- Negative: Is UPnP enabled by default?
- Does the camera phone home by default or by user option?
- What other ports are open?
The manufacturers in this test are:
- Arecont Vision
- Samsung / Hanwha
Inside we take a look at how each performed.