Biometrics has been long sought as an alternative to the security risks of cards, pins and passwords. While biometrics has improved somewhat over the past decade and has some clear advantages, other problems or limitations remain. In this post, we compare the key pros and cons of biometrics.
Advantages of biometrics have key value is some access applications. While manufacturer marketing often blurs the claims and overstate the advantages, biometrics can offer:
- Credentials Always Available
- User Identity Verification
- High Credential Validity
- Tough Against Passback
On the other hand, there are operational weaknesses or risks that are not commonly realized before deployment. Some of those are:
- User Unwillingness & Distrust
- User Biometric Incompatibility
- User Removal of Clothing
- User Positioning
- Injuries & Biometric Stability
- Lengthy Authentication Cycletimes
- No More Picture IDs
- Myth: Biometrics Are Distinctive
Inside, we explain and examine each one.