In our IPVM IP Networking course, Power Over Ethernet (PoE) is a core component that students show significant interest in.
The top ones are:
- Can I accidentally double PoE wattage by using midspans & switches together?
- Does each port produce max rated wattage?
- Can a cable plugged into a port, but not a camera, electrocute me or be a safety hazard?
- How far can PoE travel on a cable?
- Will cameras using power supplies be damaged by also plugging them into PoE ports?
In the sections below, we answer each question.