Subscriber Discussion

Panasonic Advidia Cameras Experience?

DL
David Lieberman
Mar 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Are there any tests, comments, or integrator/user experience with Advidia cameras?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 13, 2018
IPVM

They are OEMs of a few Asian manufacturers but it depends on the model. Related: Panasonic Embraces Advidia OEMing of ACTi, Dahua and Hikvision

We have not tested them since Advidia is typically OEMing Hikvision or other manufacturers that we do regularly test.

DL
David Lieberman
Mar 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Many thanks, John. Apparently, Panasonic has acquired VideoInsight and it's camera branded as Advidia. So both cameras can be used with our VideoInsight system without license fees.

I was just reading your test of Panasonics smart CODEC, which looks pretty impressive.

Thx!

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 13, 2018
IPVM

Yes, we have tested VideoInsight's VMS here, for reference.

DL
David Lieberman
Mar 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

OK, I should have read the article you linked above before I responded. Great info. Thanks very much.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 13, 2018
IPVM

No worries, happy to help. If you have any feedback about Advidia as you use them, I'd definitely like to hear.

DL
David Lieberman
Mar 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Will Do!!!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 14, 2018

We have used Advidia cameras with VI and have seen no problems with them.  We would prefer to sell the Panasonic brand cameras with them, when possible, but budgets do not always allow for that. 

DL
David Lieberman
Mar 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Thanks very much for your comment, UI-1

MS
Midwest Surveillance
Mar 14, 2018

We have had a good amount of success with the Advidia line. Customers love the price-point especially with the Free* Enterprise VMS. They are exactly what John stated, OEMs from Dahua, Hik, and ACTi. We like to think Video Insight/Panasonic picked the best bang for buck from these manufacturers. I dont believe there is more than two cams that originate from ACTi though. When we have DOA's or problem cams, Tech Support out of Houston has been nothing short of excellent. Pay close attention to new policy on "Free" software as it changed around Nov of '17. If you're not using one of VI's Dell NVR's, and instead using your own or existing hardware for a brand new install, systems of 9 cams or greater require a $1500 MSRP Enterprise Server License. For larger deployments, this cost is easily absorbed. But for a 9-25 or so cam deployments, you should especially weigh the option of using a VI machine. Those are rock solid with excellent warranty/support as well. 

(1)
MS
Midwest Surveillance
Mar 14, 2018

Forgot to mention.. Even though cams OEM from Hik and Dahua, End Users have more of a "peace of mind" when its explained that Firmware and Support originate from the old US of A, and Texas for that matter. We have yet to have any "Hacked" or back door issues brought to our attention. 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 14, 2018
IPVM

Mark, great feedback.

One thing - is Panasonic claiming that the firmware on Advidia cameras is their own rather than Dahua/Hikvision?

MS
Midwest Surveillance
Mar 14, 2018

To best of my knowledge, the firmware is put under the microscope and modified as they see fit, but isn't rewritten from my understanding. The GUI's are modified, and look very close to the OEM. 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 14, 2018
IPVM

Mark, recall UTC / Interlogix's similar claims, compare to our UTC / Interlogix test findings.

MS
Midwest Surveillance
Mar 14, 2018

I agree theres a strong correlation in regards to the Camera Interface, but we havent had similar issues Video Insight as there was with TruVision Navigator. I cant definitively say the cyber security issues had been resolved that are present with Hik and Dahua. But I would imagine the experience and stability of Video Insight over TruVision is better. No experience with the Truvision products here, so this only my opinion based on your findings and my experience with VI. 

DL
David Lieberman
Mar 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Mark, this is really helpful. Thank you for this information. We've already purchased the turnkey VI system with their own hardware and want to add the Panasonic/Advidia cameras, so it's good to know that you are rating the reliability and service as highly as you are.

David

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions