While Pelco is a leader in analog surveillance cameras, they are not even in the top 10 for 2008 global network camera sales. Pelco aims to rectify this with their Sarix family of IP cameras supporting both megapixel resolution and H.264 processing.
We tested a Pelco IXE20DN (firmware version 126.96.36.19981-A1.3199) using Milestone Enterprise's 6.5f software with Device Pack 4.5. The test was conducted using H.264 resolution at 30fps. The test included filming indoors and outdoors during the daytime, night time and under measured low lux scenarios. We also tested at multiple bit rates to examine the impact of adjusting bandwidth consumption.
Our key findings include:
- Day time video quality had sharp focus and fairly true to life colors
- Low light (under 1 lux) video tended to be dark with minimal motion blur and low visible noise (using default settings)
- Integration of Sarix and Milestone was unstable, suffering from various problems
- Limitation of supporting 3rd party VMS systems can block use
- Relatively high H.264 bandwidth consumption with 3rd party systems should be considered