Arecont Vision's H.264 megapixel product line has drawn an immense amount of interest. At the beginning of 2008, Arecont was the first surveillance company to announce H.264 multi-megapixel and is currently the only manufacturer offering H.264 megapixel up to 5MP.
At the same time, a lot of questions have been raised about image quality, CPU utilization and actual bandwidth savings.
In this test of the AV3105DN with the MPL4-10 lens, we explore the performance and benefits of Arecont's H.264 offering.
Key findings include:
- Image quality was sharp with basic manual focusing of the lens
- Compared to MJPEG, H.264 CPU usage was consistently lower
- Bandwidth utilization for H.264 streams was up to 90% lower than MJPEG
- High motion or low lux levels caused H.264 bandwidth utilization to rise significantly, reducing efficiency gains
- Numerous problems existed using the Arecont Vision VMS software though 3rd party VMS software worked well
[As always, the test was not paid by the vendor. They loaned us a camera and provided technical support.]