Terminating Manufacturer IPVM Access
Manufacturers who use IP Video Market in promotional materials will have their IPVM access terminated immediately. In the past two weeks, we terminated two accounts of global IP video surveillance manufacturers who used our positive coverage in promotional materials. We will absolutely NOT tolerate any manufacturer using our brand, logo, research, etc. in any way to promote, endorse or recommend their offerings. There will be no exceptions to this.
Our membership is for information purposes only. We allow anyone to become a member and charge the same set low rates, regardless of whether they are an end user, integrator, consultant, investor or manufacturers, etc. Becaue of that we now have thousands of members with manufacturers being a clear minority. This is far different from the traditional analyst or trade media model that is dominated by large payments from a small number of manufacturers.
Manufacturers can stay members of the site as long as they do not misuse our research. That noted, from a financial and personal level, I have no qualms about terminating any and all manufacturer access.
I want to be clear what I consider to be misuse:
- Anything that manufacturers say to people outside of their own company that uses our research, test results or recommendations as proof or validation of their company or products is misuse.
- Manufacturers are not allowed to cite us by name to partners, customers, investors, etc in any effort to market or sell their company or products.
- This includes manufacturer sales people which seem to be the most common problem. I understand that your sales people are often out of control. I do not care. You share our research with them, you are responsible from stopping them from using it as promotion.
- Do not send out email blasts, press releases, white papers, blog posts, brochures, internet forum comments, etc. that reference our name or brand as validating your company.
- If a manufacturer has any doubts, they should contact us before any communication is done.
Can you do this?
Manufacturers might find this overly harsh and even wonder if we can do this. If you want access to our research, that's our conditions. Take it or leave. We don't want money. We just don't want you to use us promotionally.
I also strongly believe we have legal rights behind us as well to stop such use (as we discussed in our FAQ on covering companies). Our first step will be to terminate access. Our next step, if needed, will be legal action.
We think most manufacturers use our site responsibly and have a lot of respect for their engineering and product teams. However, we will not tolerate, in any way, promotional use.