Sublethal is a South African company that manufactures a remotely-controlled, camera-enabled gun called the Boomslang, which is Afrikaans for tree snake. The company says it is non-lethal and is designed to deter intruders and protect lives.
The solution and its use case present interesting questions of legality, liability, and potential misuse.
In this note, based on our research and interview with Sublethal President Peter Rolfe, we examine:
- Company background
- Military vs. commercial use
- Solution information
- Designed for a specific setting
- Potential problems to International / US adoption
- Potential to do serious injury
- Industry legal expert opinion