Given the variety of types available, specifying access control readers can be a daunting process. However, focusing on a few key elements will help you arrive at the right product no matter which system you are using.
These factors are:
- The Basic Reader Types: Contacless, Barcodes, Keypads, and Biometrics
- Quick Overview Of Contactless Frequencies and Formats
- How Mounting Surfaces Impact Selection
- Why Establishing Contactless Read Range Is Crucial
- Awareness Of Infrastructure Requirements Like Power and Connectivity
- Protocol Support (Wiegand vs. OSDP)
In this note, we address these attributes, explain how they are different, and help users understand which reader is the ideal choice for their application.
[Note: This tutorial was originally published in 2014 and substantially revised in 2017]