Embattled $400 Million China Funded Philippines Surveillance System Proceeds
An embattled 12,000 camera surveillance system project that will cost ~$400 million will proceed.
The project contract was awarded, had its funding blocked by the Senate and that block subsequently vetoed by the president.
In this note, based on our own research, we examine the following topics:
- Why the dispute
- How bidders were required to be Chinese-state-owned
- How the PRC China is financing almost all of the project
- Contract signing witnessed by Rodrigo Duterte and Xi Jinping
- How the signed contract was blocked and unblocked
- How there are many contracts and a lot of financing coming from the PRC
- What the national police found in their investigation
- How Huawei bid, but did not win
- What are the specifics of the planned Safe Philippines Project
- What Huawei's surveillance history is with the Philippines