While momentum grows for IP camera standards, significant questions exist as to what will happen with ONVIF and PSIA. They are two groups pursuing the same fundamental goal of brining interoperability to IP cameras. As such they are direct competitors to one another (though neither would likely frame it as such).
UPDATE NOV 2010: We believe ONVIF has now won the battle - Read our new analysis.
Delivering IP camera standards is a very important element of expanding and maturing the IP video surveillance market. If you are not familiar with ONVIF, PSIA or the IP camera standards initiatives, I encourage you to read an overview of IP Camera Standards before proceeding. This article will explore the detailed relationship between ONVIF and PSIA.
- IP Camera Standard efforts have significant momentum
- The technical specifications of ONVIF and PSIA are fairly similar
- Both specifications can co-exist
- As the global IP camera leader and de facto leader of ONVIF, Axis commands significant respect amongst manufacturers and integrators
- ONVIF seems to be favored in Europe and Asia
- PSIA is moving faster than ONVIF is
- PSIA has opened up sooner than ONVIF
- PSIA specificaiton is easier to implement