Building Occupancy Codes and Access Control Tutorial
A building or room's classification greatly impacts where exit devices should be used. Occupancy codes impact which type of lock hardware can be fitted to doors, most commonly the use of exit devices - often adding hundreds of dollars per door.
This report explains the occupancy classification of a space and which codes apply.
The points we cover include:
- Why classification is necessary
- Code impact on lock hardware selection
- Classification definition and key categories
- Finding classification ratings
- Comparing classification types
- Handling mixed occupancies
- Developing manual ratings