On February 20, IPVM visited another live face rec deployment by London police, but this time the system was thwarted by technical problems and poor weather conditions, even getting called off early. New cameras we also used, although they were of a model that wasn't well suited to the task.
With no arrests and poor implementation, privacy rights group Big Brother Watch described this deployment as a "complete police failure". In this post, we examine the system's issues, new specs, and more, including:
- Video Walkthrough
- New Cameras With Lower Resolution Used
- Weather-related Challenges: Umbrellas, Hoodies
- Deployment Called Off Due to Software Glitch
- Passerby Reaction
- Activists Call Out "Complete Police Failure"
- Final Analysis: Long List of Problems
- Met Police Response