Is UTC's Plan for GE Security a Mistake?Author: John Honovich, Published on Nov 13, 2009
UTC's Fire and Security CEO is beginning to reveal UTC's plans for GE Security's assets. We think two of the most important are risky.
Here are the 6 key strategic elements (as defined in Slide 9 of UTC's presentation):
- Add Edwards Fire group
- Complement Lenel
- Integrate Casi-Rusco into Lenel platform
- Accelerate Development of VMS platform
- Combine UTC services with GE products
- Generate cost savings
- Integrating Casi-Rusco into Lenel is redundant. Also, Lenel is a more modern system than Casi-Rusco. Why hold Lenel back to integrate a legacy system that is on its way out?
- Why accelerate development on a VMS platform that has fallen severely behind? Is it worth it to accelerate Kalatel or Visiowave development? I guess they are stuck with GE video but would it not have been easier to just buy modern systems like Milestone, Genetec, etc? And how does this impact the OEM deal with OnSSI for Skypoint - another more modern system?
- Does this really complement Lenel or would smaller acquisitions of more modern technologies that are clear fits work better?
2 reports cite this report:
Most Recent Industry Reports
The world's leading video surveillance information source, IPVM provides the best reporting, testing and training for 10,000+ members globally. Dedicated to independent and objective information, we uniquely refuse any and all advertisements, sponsorship and consulting from manufacturers.