The best and worst cameras tested in this IPVM shootout showed major differences in quality and performance.
While many view IR as being a commodity, our month-long testing of 25 cameras across 9 manufacturers showed differently.
Key Performance Differences
Based on nearly a month of testing, we found several key performance differences:
- Missing facial details: While the best cameras tested could capture facial details of subjects moving, many cameras tested smeared or obscured faces.
- Uneven illumination: The best cameras delivered even illumination providing superior image capture over many cameras with hot and dead spots.
- Problems adjusting to moving objects: Top cameras tested were able to quickly adjust for objects moving but many cameras could not.
- Poor capture of multiple objects: While top performers could properly capture multiple objects in the scene, many models only exposed the foreground, missing distant subjects.
- Ghosting/flare on license plates: The best performers captured highly reflective license plates with no flare or ghosted/doubled images, while others suffered from flare and ghosting, reducing details.
We included models with resolutions ranging from 1080p to 4K, low to high cost, to see how they compared to examine trends in integrated IR performance in 2020:
- Avigilon 2.0C-H5A-BO1-IR
- Avigilon 8.0C-H5A-BO1-IR
- Avigilon 2.0C-H4SL-DO1-IR
- Avigilon 5.0C-H4SL-BO1-IR
- Axis M3106-LVE Mk II
- Axis P3245-LVE
- Axis Q1798-LE
- Bosch Flexidome 5000i / NDE-5503-AL
- Bosch Flexidome 3000i / NDE-3502-AL
- Dahua N85CL5Z
- Dahua N45DL7Z
- Dahua N44CL52
- Hanwha LND-6011R
- Hanwha XNO-6085R
- Hikvision DS-2CD2785G0-IZS
- Hikvision DS-2CD2723G1-IZS
- Hikvision DS-2CD2725FHWD-IZS
- Hikvision ECI-T22F2
- Panasonic WV-S2531LN
- Panasonic WV-S2570L
- Uniview IPC3238ER3-DVZ
- Uniview IPC262EBR9-HDUPZ
- Vivotek FD8379-HV
- Vivotek FD9365-EHTV
- Wyze Wyze Cam 2.0
The video below quickly reviews the models tested: