What are the best and worst cameras from an installation standpoint? Which manufacturers make it harder or easier to install their cameras?
We tested 25 cameras from 8 manufacturers, as overviewed below:
Our test included multiple series from various manufacturers as this series / model breakdown shows:
We examined key installation features suggested by IPVM members (see: Worst Features for Camera Installation and Top Features For Easy Camera Installation, including:
- Does the camera have a cable whip? How easy is it to manage?
- Do weatherproof gaskets stay in place or hang loose?
- Can the camera mount to standard backboxes?
- How easy and precise is the gimbal to adjust and does it stay in place while adjusting?
- Does the camera include an installation template?
- Does the camera include video out for connecting a service monitor?
- Is the dome/housing connected with a safety leash/cable?
- Do housing screws fall out easily or stay captive?
- Does the camera include a desiccant or other dehumidifier device?
- Does the camera's web interface open on all browsers without plugins?
Inside, we provide full details on our rankings, showing what makes these 25 cameras good, bad, and average, as previewed below: