While most screening systems cost $10,000 or more, manufacturers such as Hikvision and Uniview have now released handheld models for $1,000 or less. But how well do they work?
We purchased two handheld thermal imagers, a Hikvision DS-2TP31B-3AUF and Uniview USS-SC160-T-NB-O (made by Uni-Trend) and examined the following:
- How accurate are body temperature estimates compared to oral and IR thermometers?
- How does the camera handle lobbies and other hot areas?
- How does the camera handle hats, masks, and glasses?
- How frequently and how long does it take to calibrate?
- What is the difference between moving and standing subjects?
- How do subject distance and angle change measured temperature?