3mm, 6mm, 2.8 - 9mm, 5 - 50mm, etc.
Camera specifications often list lens lengths but what do they mean?
These metrics are important in determining the correct camera coverage and Field of View (FoV). In this tutorial, we look at:
- What lens focal length impacts
- The relationship of imager size
- Common lens length ranges and their uses
- Limitations of using focal lens length
- Manufacturer variances between focal length and AoV
- Fixed vs. varifocal lenses
- Fixed focal length options
- Focal length impact on camera size
- Lens limitations (low light performance and detail loss)
- Picking the right lens length