Few terms carry greater importance—or cause more confusion—in access control than 'fail safe' and 'fail secure.'
Access control professionals must know how these concepts apply and how to select appropriate locks.
In this tutorial, IPVM examines:
- The difference between 'fail safe' and 'fail secure' locks
- Why free egress is important
- Controlling entry is the goal
- Mechanical overrides for fail secure
- When to use fail secure hardware
- Typical access locks for fail safe and fail secure
- Proper application of maglocks and strikes for 'fail safe' and 'fail secure'