[[Note: See our more recent Color Low Light Mega Shootout 2021 for more up-to-date testing, including new models, additional white light models, and more scenes.]]
This is the biggest color low light shootout ever, testing 20+ super low light models from 10 manufacturers:
Increasingly, each manufacturer offers 'super' low light models, with marketing terms ranging from DarkFighter to ExtraLux toLightFinder to StarLight, etc.
We included these models ranging from 1080p to 4K resolution, low cost to high, to see how they compared to examine trends in color low light performance in 2019:
In this report we examine:
- Which camera models perform best and worst overall?
- How do cameras handle moving subjects?
- How true are colors in low light?
- How do static vs. motion details differ?
- Do minimum illumination specifications reflect real world performance?
- How does resolution impact performance?
- Are more expensive cameras better?
- What impact did manufacturer optimizations have on performance?
Here is a video overview of what we found: