Budget Cuts for Security Managers
Published May 13, 2009 00:00 AM
PUBLIC - This article does not require an IPVM subscription. Feel free to share.
In a survey of over 250 security managers, the Security Executive Council is reporting significant drops in security department budgets (see their executive summary from their research section). Key statistics include:
- 52% respondents report budget cuts
- Average general budget reduction of 5%
- Average Capital projects / equipment decrease was 11%
- [Note: averages above were calculated by weighing statistics from the increasing and decreasing charts in the executive summary]
- Video was one of the two most common tactics to increase security with decreasing budgets
Decreasing security budgets are not a surprise but they should be cause for concern - especially when examining the industry for 2010 and beyond. Projects over the last 6 months where funded pre-Meltdown. By the end of this year, new projects will be under the pressure of post-Meltdown budgets. This is a main reason in my argument that 2010 could be worse for the industry.