Bosch on the Realities of Video SurveillanceBy: John Honovich, Published on Nov 18, 2009
Bosch published an article in SecurityInfoWatch examining the realities and over-hyped elements [link no longer available] of the video surveillance market.
Key points examined:
- Claims, "up-to-date knowledge of multiple IP video product sets from multiple manufacturers is bordering on pure fantasy."
- Bleeding edge products can be dangerous
- Determine what you want to see using DCRI (see Bosch blog post explaining Detection/Classification/Recognition/Identification [link no longer available])
- Battle between IP and analog will remain until HD is commonplace and IP camera standards are widely adopted
- "People don't trust VCA." Ironically and unmentioned is that Bosch's video analytic parlor games contributed to this.
- Importance of lighting and low light performance for video images.