Video surveillance can be designed and deployed in a number of ways. This 101 examines the most common options and architectures used in 2020.
This is part of our new Video Surveillance 101 Course that starts next week.
Architectures are based on 5 fundamental decisions:
- Encoding - Where is the video encoded? Camera? Encoder? Recorder?
- Storage - Where is the video stored? Camera? Recorder? SAN? NAS? Cloud?
- Analytics - Where is the video analyzed? Camera? Recorder? Server? Cloud?
- Management - Where is the video managed? Camera? Recorder? VMS? Cloud?
- Monitor - Where is the video monitored? PC / workstation? PVM? Video wall? Phone?
Inside this report, we explain the tradeoffs of these 5 fundamental decisions, overview a number of the most common combinations and what future trends are most promising.