Video surveillance can be designed and deployed in a number of ways. This 101 examines the most common options and architectures used in 2020.
Architectures are based on 5 fundamental decisions:
- Encoding - Where is the video encoded? Camera? Encoder? Recorder?
- Storage - Where is the video stored? Camera? Recorder? SAN? NAS? Cloud?
- Analytics - Where is the video analyzed? Camera? Recorder? Server? Cloud?
- Management - Where is the video managed? Camera? Recorder? VMS? Cloud?
- Monitor - Where is the video monitored? PC / workstation? PVM? Video wall? Phone?
Inside this report, we explain the tradeoffs of these 5 fundamental decisions, overview a number of the most common combinations and what future trends are most promising.