Ubiquiti Amplifi Teleport - Automatic VPN - Useful For Video Surveillance?

Ethan Ace
Nov 17, 2017

Some users might be familiar with Ubiquiti's consumer Amplifi line, which currently consists of routers and mesh point network extenders.

Now, they're Kickstarting a model which automatically VPNs to the base router from remote sites. They're marketing it for travelers, to be able to connect to their home wifi from hotels, or those with multiple houses. Here's the Kickstarter video:

It's an interesting device and not something I've seen before. Question is: does anyone see any surveillance use for these devices, given the rising demand for more secure remote access?

Obviously, if you're traveling and want to check in on your home or business this could be an option, but it requires wifi or a wired connection, making it less useful than a VPN you can connect to with your mobile device. But for many unskilled users, this is likely a much easier option than setting up a VPN, no?

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 19, 2017

With this, what do you do if you want to connect to your home network from your phone?

SP
Sean Patton
Nov 19, 2017

I kickstarter'd the original Amplifi system, and proudly roll what I think is the best purely in-home Wifi setup - Amplifi HD. I dont see any real surveillance applications for it, other than not needed to expose any cameras in my house to the Internet (NAT or otherwise) and using that device to pop in from anywhere (either public wifi or tethered) to take a look and connect home. I'm already pledged for this as an unapologetic Ubiquiti Labs fanboy.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions