Subscriber Discussion

Selling Old Cameras?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 30, 2017

I have been tasked with getting rid of some of our spare inventory that has been lingering for years.  For the most part posting them on Amazon seems to work.  However, some brands are locked down.  Has anyone found a quick and easy method to liquidate IP cameras that is not eBay?  I have two factory refurbished SNC-EP580s that I cannot post to Amazon.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 30, 2017
IPVM

#1, I don't know of quick and easy ways to liquidate IP cameras.

Can you clarify that 'some brands are locked down'? In what way? The Sonys can't be sold on Amazon or?

UI
Jan 30, 2017

Sony cannot be sold on Amazon without some form of business account.  I believe manufacturers can ask Amazon to limit sales to only approved or factory resellers.  Here's the text:

• You need approval to list in this brand.
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 31, 2017
IPVM

#1, that's very interesting. Thanks!

As a side note, I wonder why Axis, Dahua and Hikvision don't do this. We'll look into this.

UI
Jan 31, 2017

Good question... I decided to take a look who else restricts selling on common brands.

Bosch - unrestricted

Pelco - unrestricted

Panasonic - restricted

Avigilon - cannot find any examples, appears to be restricted

Axis - unrestricted

Milestone - unrestricted

Altronix - unrestricted

Samsung - restricted

Samsung/Hanwha - partially restricted

(4)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

These are new old cameras, correct?

edit: I see they are refurbs.

Did you buy them as refurbs?

UI
Jan 30, 2017

I do not know.  They're sitting in packaging from our service department.  They're been here at least 2-3 years.  No boxes, just the tight plastic packaging with blue tape/banding inside it to hold the head stationary.  All appears to be done at the factory.  No housings.

They may be new old cameras... but are much more likely to have been repaired replacements.  Without the box I am erring on the side of caution.

This is not my image, but appears nearly identical to what I am looking at, less the bag of accessories on the left.

Sean Nelson
Jan 31, 2017
Nelly's Security

Whats wrong with Fleabay? This is where we liquidate all of our used and old inventory. Now if you want top dollar, its not the place to sell. Maybe slang em up on Craigslist. 

If you want to get rid of them quickly, Fleabay is the way to go.

(1)
UI
Jan 31, 2017

It's just so high maintenance on ebay.  I'd rather just post and forget about it.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jan 31, 2017

I would recommend ebay.  

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 01, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Maybe post them on one of the CCTV forums?

Brandon Knutson
Feb 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If it's not about mad stacks $$$, you could donate them to clients that are charitable organizations.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 01, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

You could follow this example....

JH
John Honovich
Feb 01, 2017
IPVM

JD, is Empire really going out of business?

We did a post on Empire 3 years ago.

UI
Feb 03, 2017

Not quite "Going out of Business".  Just sick of seeing these sit here depreciating.

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 03, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Strange that the image says "Going out of business" then....

UI
Feb 03, 2017

No, I meant I would not replicate their "going out of business" advertisement.

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 03, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

My bad. I don't know why I assumed it was Kyle from Empire replying to my post defending his company. I guess that's what happens when you don't take stock of the whole trail of the topic. I didn't even look at your name. I only noticed it was undisclosed. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions