Subscriber Discussion

H.265 Camera VMS Compatibility?

TH
Truman HW
Sep 29, 2017

I originally thought I needed to have the [same] "plus" manufacture... then caught messages from John here, as well as far less authoritative indices that the recorder doesn't have to "link" with the camera for either H.265, or a plus status to be specifically compatible in all cases. 

However, given my new (and obviously wise) direction to investigate Milestone, learning that it often doesn't support the H.265 designation of cameras is disappointing and now, makes me curious as to what specifically regulates the feature. 

My Dahua NVR doesn't recognize Cantonk H.265... Macs don't via browser, however, they do if you manually open a plugin each time, for some models of cameras. 

Plus might deactivate smart features or lower framerates! Which is very disappointing... 

The thread here, for me is how curious it is that ONVIF may or may not receive H.265. 

Is this a matter of incentives?

I want the advantages of H.265 - and have spent money to explicitly go after it unless I get an incredible deal on something that compels me to get an H.264.

Off topic "asides" and PSs:

Is there any way for me to use the advantages of the Fisheye directly through the VMS of my Dahua? Or am I better served using the VMS of the Bosch 7000 MP...?

A good fisheye like Bosch is wizardry. I cannot BELIEVE how cool this thing is. One day, when a 20MP comes out I will buy that, too. Just amazing.

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The thread here, for me is how curious it is that ONVIF may or may not receive H.265.

Is this a matter of incentives?

See Hello H.265, Goodbye ONVIF? and

How And When ONVIF Will Support H.265

JH
John Honovich
Sep 29, 2017
IPVM

direction to investigate Milestone, learning that it often doesn't support the H.265 designation of cameras is disappointing

Truman, it is important to put it in context that H.265 support for VMSes is still quite early stages. Many VMSes still so not support H.265 at all. Milestone is, relatively speaking, one of the best at supporting H.265. You might consider Axxon VMS for another early H.265 supporter.

As for ONVIF, #1 has already linked to the 2 relevant items. Summary: You can use ONVIF Profile S with H.265 cameras if the devices support media services 2 (now) or in 2018 when Profile T is released.

Have you downloaded the free full version of Milestone? I would recommend doing that and trying to connect them to your cameras to see how they work.

(2)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 30, 2017

I'm going to stick with your first suggestion re: Milestone.

Lastly, here's my game plan for the system I'm going to build today:

(Continue using my current cameras and SC-300 Cisco)

i7-7700
nVidia 980 Ti ? Does it matter? I assume not... as I don't see GPU acceleration. 
PCIE SSD Drives
Hardware RAID Card (??) 
32GB RAM? 64GB ? 
(All will be 64bit signed for Windows 64bit

Local QNAP for long(er) term storage

Modem to stream a back up to my NAS off site

What are the best value 

4K, 30 FPS
H.265+
IP Cameras... primary duty is in good lighting at close range... need to be able to ID people who commit fraud in my store. 

Which cameras do you think have the best value of the above specs, price, smart features, maintaining the FPS as the complexity goes up, that have compatibility with Milestone "now" etc. 

Any suggestions?

Mike Dotson
Nov 08, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

re: Milestone and H265.

I know that they are rolling this out slowly and is not quite a general availability...but does have quite a few...9 vendors and ONVIF.

Be sure to check their supported devices page...with  'h265' as the filter.

TH
Truman HW
Sep 30, 2017

I'm buying a system to set up today at Fry's. :)  This is my weekend project. 

Is there any way (protocol) for me to set up my Milestone to a QNAP? Isn't there an agnostic protocol, like iSCSI that I could use it with that provides the ability to lower the framerate of video older than a specified age, successively? What was that features name called, anyway, if so... and will it work with Express+ 

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...provides the ability to lower the framerate of video older than a specified age, successively? What was that features name called, anyway, if so... 

I called it "Progressive Frame Reduction".

But wasn't aware of any offerings, what have you seen?

Can I Get Progressive Frame Reduction For Video Storage?

TH
Truman HW
Sep 30, 2017

It COULD be Dynamic archiving ? 

But if it is, when you move it to a network storage device, you can reduce the bitrate or framerate maybe... you'll have to ask an expert, I'm a noob.  

JH
John Honovich
Sep 30, 2017
IPVM

Milestone supports lowering the framerate over time (which they call data grooming) only in their top end tiers, see comparison chart and screencap below:

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Milestone supports lowering the framerate over time...

Not sure due to limited info, but it appears as though this is a one-shot reduction, done when the video is archived.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 30, 2017
IPVM

From the Milestone Corporate manual:

TH
Truman HW
Sep 30, 2017

WOW. 1 frame per 10 seconds? O_O 

I'd rather lose resolution I think...... 

Whats the name of the feature where each successive storage device/LUN, etc, has a degradation in quality so I see which version I precisely need? 

(Sure do wish they used phrases that were in a table of contents that provided the means to look these things up in glossaries instead of 'intuiting' their definition.)

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'd rather lose resolution I think......

Its far less computationally expensive to drop frames, it's basically an I/O operation to drop to key frames, or to drop MJPEG frames.  

Changing the resolution requires decoding and re-encoding the stream.  At least until someone implements SVC for progressive resolution.

TH
Truman HW
Nov 10, 2017

Do you know the price differences between say, 

Express+
Professional
Professional+
Expert

Is it per-camera and per server?

NOTICE: This comment has been moved to its own discussion: What Is The Price Difference Of Milestone Xprotect Versions?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions