Subscriber Discussion

Looking For Audio Surveillance Option For Larger Reception Area (50-70sqm / 540-750sqft)

Niall Beazley
Jun 12, 2018

From a brief check across the market there are few cameras with a built in audio microphone or speaker, requiring third party options. The third party option normally requires its own power source and amplification. Most cameras with audio options provide an RCA connection for mic and output speaker. This limits the overall ability of the audio options to within a few metres in a very enclosed setting; any ambient noises will also be recorded. We have a requirement in an open volume reception area where the overall size is double volume and around 50-70 square metres (150-210 sq feet). Any comments would be appreciated? Cheers Niall.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Audio Usage In Video Surveillance Statistics

Brian Rhodes
Jun 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Just to recap your requirement for clarity:

You're looking for 3rd party mic, or series of mics, to cover ~50 - 70sqm, with audio integrated with video at a nearby camera for playback/live viewing on a VMS?

(1)
Niall Beazley
Jun 12, 2018

Hi Brian, That is correct. I am also looking for comments and ideas with regard to the realistic use of current cameras with their RCA plug in options. Our experience has not been good. Just wondering how IPVM and the members handle these options? The last updates on this subject appear to have been a couple of years ago from a quick search. I am interested in any solutions some of you may have provided? Thank you.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 12, 2018

You will need to provide more details on the acoustics of the room and the level of audio quality expected upon playback. 

Audio, unfortunately, also suffers from the CSI effect. 

Does it need to be lip sync’d in accordance with MPAA standards?

Is there background noise issues from machinery?  Hard tile floors?  A fan?

Are we trying to hear a person amongst a group talking, a two person interview, a scream?

(1)
Niall Beazley
Jun 12, 2018

Hi, yes it is always good to have a lip synch ability. MPAA standards? please advise?

The background noise is the stone tiled flooring. regular people transiting through the reception area, up the two staircases to the first floor and clients moving through to a back area meeting room. With the double volume the sound echoes and the site is close to an airport runway. All delightfully noise generating.

A mix of people discussing matters within the common reception area rather than an interview. Key incidents such as a scream would also be appropriate from a security point of view. i trust this helps?

Cameron Javdani
Jun 12, 2018
Louroe Electronics

Niall, if you're looking to bypass the cameras in terms of the wiring connection, we make an IP microphone that streams to your VMS.  https://www.louroe.com/product/digifact-a/.

For connections to the camera there are lots of options at https://www.louroe.com/product-category/microphone/.  Depending on what camera make and model you're using, you may be able to use a mic that doesn't require external power.

Almost all of the mics linked pick up in a 5m omnidirectional pattern which gets close to your requirement.  

(1)
Niall Beazley
Jun 12, 2018

Hi Cameron, thank you for your responses. a 5m omnidirectional pattern might help, but we would then require between 10 and 20 odd microphones to cover an area? how would you deploy these devices and in what manner? I will check out your website options. 

Cameron Javdani
Jun 12, 2018
Louroe Electronics

The 5m pickup is the radius of the coverage area.  The most common application is a ceiling mounted mic connected to an IP camera.  If your camera specs say "mic in" or "mic level input" then you can use a non-powered/non-amplified microphone.

If you're looking to use audio to detect emergency events like screaming, loud noises, gunshots, etc. then you can use fewer mics and depending on what equipment you're using you can set a high dB threshold for alarms. The IP mic I linked you to has built in dB alarming and the option to add analytics for aggressive speech or gunshots.

If you want to focus in on a particular area of the room then you'll need additional mics with more focused sensitivity.

(1)
Chris Daniels
Jun 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

You might investigate the Axis T83 series surveillance microphone solution. Also look at analytics from sound intelligence, https://www.soundintel.com/

Saw some pretty impressive demo displays at a vendor conference this year.

(1)
AR
Alexander Ryltsov
Jun 14, 2018

I would suggest to look for microphone arrays. Unfortunately I can't give you an exact model, as there are plenty of them in the communication domain (see, for ref, http://www.clearone.com/products_beamforming_mic_array), but in the area of surveillance they are hiding among "special appliances", like prisons and military. There arrays of 100-300 mics in a shape of 2-4 ft. circle that can cover (clearly!) area of much more than 100*100 ft. are available (you can pick a place you want to hear visually, via built-in camera). Something like a light version of that I saw in Panasonic booth few month ago (https://security.panasonic.com/products/wv-smr10n3/).

(1)
Niall Beazley
Jun 14, 2018

Hi Guys, Thank you each for your comments and thoughts. They are helpful and provide direction. Much appreciated. take care, Cheers Niall.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions