Subscriber Discussion

Best Low-Light Camera For Residential Budget?

Orlando Ayala
Mar 10, 2017

I have a client who would like better low light performance in a few areas. I have heard great things about Vivotek's SNV(Supreme Night Vision) but not much about anyone else. The FD836A-HVF2 seems viable for this request.

Also, since this is a residential installation cost is a factor although I'm always working to educate on the value of performance. All things being equal domes are preferable. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 10, 2017
IPVM

Orlando, I googled the "FD836A-HVF2" and it returned no matches.

Vivotek lists ~40 'SNV' cameras but most of them are certainly not close to what 'super low light' is today.

Can you respond with a link to that FD836A-HVF2 camera or a different name?

Orlando Ayala
Mar 10, 2017

Oops, left out a letter. Should be FD836BA-HVF2.

I contacted Vivoteks support line and they gave me some links to other similar SNV models to view later tonight.

Obviously Dahua(N25BL5ZI) and Hikvision(DS-2CD4126FWD-IZ) have options at lower price points but I'd like to look into other options if possible. 

JH
John Honovich
Mar 11, 2017
IPVM

The Vivotek and Dahua models are basically the same imager size (1/2.7, 1/2.8). The Hikvision model is 1/1.8 Darkfighter.

In our test of products in this category (including the Hikvision Darkfighter test) that larger imager size makes a material difference in 'super' low light performance.

It depends (1) if you want color in low light and (2) how dark it really is (i.e., is there a little bit of exterior / street lighting or is it pitch black in the area)?

(1)
Orlando Ayala
Mar 13, 2017

Thanks for the info John. They will be placed on a well lit tract home street so not ever that dark and I definitely want color. I'm going to order the Dahua and Vivotek models to do some real world testing. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions