Subscriber Discussion

Taking Over / Expanding Digital Watchdog System - Any Advice?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Client has 24 cameras on a BlackJack Cube NVR. Not sure of the specs. I saw the NVR and sent support the SN in hopes they can give me the build specs. The engineer got me in the server room but the IT guy was not there so I was not going to start touching things in the server room.

They have 24 2MP cameras on this NVR and want to add 34 2MP or 4MP more cameras now, and possibly some in another year. We are trying to figure out if we need a 2nd server.

They have clients in various locations.

We have never used DW, but some here seem to like it. Anything we need to be aware of? There may be some cameras we choose not to use DW, is it pretty friendly to non DW cameras?

Scott Smith
Nov 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have just signed up to be a DW Partner. 
I saw a demo of the software and it's very impressive. 
DW Spectrum will just about connect to any camera and a lot of DVR's.
The pricing on the licenses is very good.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Nov 19, 2017

Once Hanwha releases Wave (same OEM) are you going to switch or stay with DWG?

(1)
Scott Smith
Nov 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I had no idea that was coming.

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 19, 2017
Mark Espenschied
Nov 19, 2017

Because the original question is about expanding a Digital Watchdog Blackjack system running DW Spectrum IPVMS, there is one important thing to understand.

DW Spectrum, Nx Witness and Wave are the same program, but they are sold independently. DW Spectrum recognizes DW Spectrum, Nx Witness recognizes Nx Witness and Wave recognizes Wave. They are not cross-compatible.

That is something to consider before walking away from DW Spectrum recording licenses that have already been purchased.

Mark Espenschied
Nov 19, 2017

Hi Jay:

I would be glad to hook you up with someone on Monday -- marke@digital-watchdog.com, 866-446-3595 x283.

This page gives a simple breakdown of the different Blackjack models. The top line tells you the maximum number of 1080p cameras each will support: https://digital-watchdog.com/page/blackjack-page/.

DW Spectrum IPVMS server and client software is free. The only charge is to record -- a one-time license per camera.

It is very easy to merge servers in DW Spectrum, putting all your systems in a single interface.

Here is our current camera compatibility table: https://digital-watchdog.com/page/integrationlist/.

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 27, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I would highly recommend a better server or an additional server for that many cameras. We generally use a Dell R530 for up to 64 cameras. But, having two smaller COTS servers and have them split the load may end up being more reliable. Depends on your philosophy on distributed loads. 

I would not go higher than 64 cameras per server. Just note that you will lose the 4 built in IP licenses if you replace the DW built server. Not something crucial, but something I overlooked my first time replacing a Cube when expanding a client’s system. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions