4K Shootout 2019 - What Should We Test?

We are planning a shootout of current 4K models this summer. We're focusing on mid/high end models in this shootout, as we published a test of low cost fixed lens models at the end of last year (see: 8MP / 4K Fixed Lens Camera Shootout). We are looking at domes, but bullets are possible, as well. IR is preferred, since most models listed include it, but not all.

Note: We are excluding the super large imager models from this test, such as the Axis Q1659 or Sony SNC-VB770, as they are much more expensive, effectively in another category.

To manufacturers: Email me at ethan@ipvm.com if you have objections or suggestions to models on this list in the next 10 days. Once the test starts, we will not be changing models. We're posting now to head off complaints about model selection later.

The current list of models included, 13 cameras so far:

Lets us know if you have suggestions or comments in this discussion, or email ethan@ipvm.com

Agree: 5
Disagree
Informative
Unhelpful
Funny

I'd like to see the following cameras. Note that the last is the only camera (manufacturer) that I couldn't find on IPVM. Granted that they've been struggling to make market headway in the past few years but, why the absence of Vicon?

Arecont AV08ZMD-400

FLIR CB-3308-11-I

FLIR N253V8

Honeywell H4W8PR2

Pelco IMP831-1ERS--GFC

Vicon V988D-W311MIR

Thank you,

David Coughlin

Agree
Disagree
Informative
Unhelpful
Funny

David, All the manufacturers you have listed have struggled with market share over the last few years. Beyond that, I don't see any specific claims or specifications that might make them stand out. For example, if VIcon's 4K claimed to be the best at x, y, or z that would increase rationale to see if they are right or wrong. Otherwise, it's mostly a set of companies who have struggled both product and market wise.

We're testing 10 manufacturers (at least) but at some point, there needs to be limits and balance between time we spend and interest overall among readers.

Are there specific reasons or features you see in those cameras? 

Agree
Disagree
Informative
Unhelpful
Funny

Did this shootout ever happen? I'm looking for a side by side comparison and I'm not finding it. Thanks.

Agree
Disagree
Informative
Unhelpful
Funny

No, it did not. We were told off the record by some manufacturers that they had new products coming soon after it would have been completed, which happened a couple of times when we were gearing up for it, then other things took priority since most of the 4K models were expensive and not particularly differentiated. We did complete tests of several of them:

I would still like to do this shootout, and we'll definitely be updating all models to the latest and greatest when we do so. It's possible that it could come in Fall, but I wouldn't expect sooner.

Agree
Disagree
Informative: 1
Unhelpful
Funny

Please update the Hanwha PNV-9080R to the PNV-A9081R. It is a newly released model so it will have better performance from a newer imager, chipset, etc. It also has AI.

Agree
Disagree
Informative
Unhelpful
Funny

Price metrics. Price Value.

Why is X more than Y? A price that reveals why a price gap exists?

A price relative to vertical markets IPVM, yes that one.

You're Welcome.

Agree
Disagree
Informative
Unhelpful
Funny