Subscriber Discussion

Monitor Displays "Blacked/Greyed" Out Video Even After Switching Monitor, NVR And More

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 14, 2018

Hi all, I am most perplexed.  its' probably the simpliest of fixes but here is my problem.  A couple of weeks ago we had a crazy storm come through... soon after one of my dvr's (dahua) started only showing a couple of the cameras although, the monitor also showed a black/grey image where a camera image should be.  If you click on the black/grey image, the camera is live and actually shows video however, once you click back to your original display, the black/grey image is back.  This has affected about 5 cameras, while some of the other cameras seem to revert back to their IP address.  The NVR is not networked, none of the other dvr's were affected, only the IP cameras (which included 3 PTZ's).  The setup has been operating perfect for the last 3 years or so.  And yes, the cameras are recording and viewable if you play back.

Here's what I've done:

1. Switched the monitor with another... same problem.

2. Switched the HDMI cable with another... same problem.

3. Switched out the NVR with a new one... same problem.

4. Switched out the POE switch with a new one... same problem.

5. The majority of the cameras (14 total) are either CAT6 or RG59 EoC and do reconnect in an IT closet using the "barrel" splice.  If the cable is CAT6, it runs from the camera to the NVR but I am  still having a problem with no video showing.  Same if I'm using the COAX.  The barrels could be the common element however, it doesn't explain why the cameras using CAT6 are doing the same thing.

Also, I am not the original owner of this setup... I've just had to clean it up (even now) as best as I could and make use of what was available to me according to the SoW some 3 years ago.

Also, does anyone know how to default a PTZ (Dahua) password?  I can't log in even using the Dahua default password.

Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated as I am very confused about this.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2018

It sounds like you've eliminated some of the potential bad components and verified that the issue doesn't reside within the scope of how these eliminated things operate.  So that's good.

I might be so bold as to think - based on your detailed description - that the problem lies within the affected cameras - whether or not the storm had any effect on them or not.

To try and prove this theory I would:

6.  Physically swap out 'working' cameras with those that are displaying grey in multi-view. (detach a 'bad' camera and a 'good' camera, and re-attach each in the others previous location). This will show if it is a power/cabling issue or an actual camera issue.

(1)
UI
Aug 14, 2018

I’ll try that and if resolves the issue. Thanks!

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Sounds like the nvr is looking for a low resolution/2nd stream (for the 4x4 matrix view) that no longer exists.

Check the config for both NVR and camera(s) dual streaming setting.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2018

The NVR was replaced during troubleshooting - as per the OP comments.

if the system has worked for 3+ years, I would not be looking at system settings as an issue before I eliminated everything else first. 

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The NVR was replaced during troubleshooting - as per the OP comments.

Saw that.  Still, the nvr might need configuration for the sub stream to work.

I would not be looking at system settings as an issue before I eliminated everything else first.

Well you covered that, right boss?

Regardless, I’m not suggesting something random, for instance:

Also - “as per the OP comments”

Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated

(3)
CK
Carl Kristoffersen
Aug 14, 2018

Checking settings doesn't require a ladder.  :-)

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2018

"Regardless, I’m not suggesting something random"

maybe not random - but highly unlikely to be the cause, based on the steps already taken by the OP to troubleshoot the issue.  boss.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...but highly unlikely to be the cause, based on the steps already taken by the OP to troubleshoot the issue. boss.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2018

"So you think maybe a cable is preventing him from seeing the only the thumbnail, while at the same time also allows him to solo it?"

cables/power/cameras - according to the OP, none have been eliminated as the potential cause.

The OP reported that the problems appeared to have begun after a 'crazy storm came through' - which, in my experience, can effect electronic devices and power solutions and make them act weird if the system was not properly protected/grounded before the storm hit.

Further, the OP reported that various components of the system had already been swapped out to eliminate each of them as the potential cause of the problem - including the NVR.

Based on the information provided by the OP, imo, the next logical step would be to isolate/eliminate the other components he has not tried to swap out yet.

Hence, my recommendation to swap known-good cameras with known-affected cameras.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...which, in my experience, can effect electronic devices and power solutions and make them act weird if the system was not properly protected/grounded before the storm hit.

Yes, often this weirdness is due to the settings getting reset due to power.

Further, the OP reported that various components of the system had already been swapped out to eliminate each of them as the potential cause of the problem - including the NVR.

This is true, however if the old NVR had settings that were customized and these were not made on the new one (at first), that could account for it.

Based on the information provided by the OP, imo, the next logical step would be to isolate/eliminate the other components he has not tried to swap out yet.

Hence, my recommendation to swap known-good cameras with known-affected cameras.

Read back, I didn’t criticize your suggestions when I made mine.  Nor did I say, “do mine first”.  I stated what the symptoms and evidence provided at the time led me to believe it could be.  I have already provided 3rd party evidence above that states similar troubleshooting steps in similar cases.

Considering that the OP stated they were open to suggestion, and that sub stream failure can manifest this condition, it was a totally reasonable to suggest checking that the sub-stream was indeed functioning.

Do you really think I shouldn’t have mentioned it?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2018

You can mention anything you like, regardless of whether or not I think it makes any sense.

"Yes, often this weirdness is due to the settings getting reset due to power."

I disagree.  I have never once seen a grounding/power issue change 'one' setting on a device and have no other impact on other settings. 

Maybe you have.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I disagree. I have never once seen a grounding/power issue change 'one' setting on a device and have no other impact on other settings.

Did I say no other settings were impacted?  

So how many times have you seen a bad cable make the thumbnail show an icon while the solo view works?

This will show if it is a power/cabling issue or an actual camera issue.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 14, 2018

"Did I say no other settings were impacted?"

I am going by what the OP reported.

Nowhere in the OP does he mention any settings that appear to have changed on the NVR or cameras.

That, plus the fact that the NVR was already swapped out (with the problem persisting) lead me to ignore NVR settings as a potential cause.

If you want to check NVR settings, have at it.  

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

If you want to check NVR settings, have at it.

Let the record show that I suggested checking both the NVR and camera(s) for proper configuration.

Check the config for both NVR and camera(s) dual streaming setting.

But, you’ve convinced me now how foolish my suggestion was.  

Therefore, I retract and wish I had only said “You should rule out the cables and the power supply first and don’t bother even checking the streams, it is highly unlikely to be the cause”.

Fair enough?

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 15, 2018

I will allow it.

...but I reserve the right to strut around like a peacock if my suggestion leads to a determination of the actual cause.

in anticipation, I am scouring the internet for a good 'In your face!' video clip to meme you with. 

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...strut around like a peacock...

Actually I’d prefer to strut around like the horse Tedor the Troubleshooter earned so long ago, if it’s not too much bother :)

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 15, 2018

(1)
UI
Aug 14, 2018

New NVR so I wouldn’t thnk that would be the issue although I have checked my streams. 

UI
Aug 15, 2018

So... I had previously looked at the stream settings but had overloooked a little box that required a "tick" mark.  Sigh... apparently it was required and had somehow been defaulted when the storm went through.

Once I ticked that little "video" box off in the sub stream, I was seeing my cameras again.  Wow... do I feel foolish.

Thanks to all for the support (and other stuff) because it made me double check things and eventually solve the issue.

BTW, just goes to show how easy it is to overlook the simplest of things. 

U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 15, 2018

Live look at UD#3 right now:

(3)
CK
Carl Kristoffersen
Aug 14, 2018

Are all the cameras same make/model?  Are there other similar cameras unaffected?

UI
Aug 14, 2018

They are the same brand (Dahua) but not necessarily the same model. 

Vincent Tong
Aug 14, 2018

i would log in to the cameras to make sure they are configured to output multiple streams.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions