Two-Way Radio Alternatives To Motorola?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 26, 2018
IPVM

A member asked in another discussion here, in the context of the legislation that bans Dahua, Hikvision and radio provider Hytera.

So besides Motorola and Hytera, what options should be considered?

(2)
Sean Patton
Jul 26, 2018

Without any experience other than (full disclosure) working there for a paid cooperative education credit for 10 weeks, Harris RF sells handheld 2-way radios. I have never sold or bought one, but I heard from customers they are more expensive than Motorola and other competitors.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 26, 2018

We use Kenwood for our security and facilities departments. This includes repeaters, vehicle radios, base stations, and handhelds with multiple channels available.  They work well for us.  You didn't mention cost concerns or features.

(1)
(1)
Jon Jones
Jul 26, 2018

Sometimes it is the partner and not the manufacturer.  Mobile Communications (where I work) is one of Motorola’s top ten dealer partners.  I would be glad to help if I can.

Mike Rose
Jul 26, 2018

Johnson

Kenwood

both are not up to Motorola quality 

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Nextel’s push-to-talk technology ended up at Sprint, renamed Direct Connect:

Makes the old chirp sound and everything!

You can also use smartphones/other devices even if they don’t have the dedicated button...

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Jul 27, 2018

Quality are Motorola, and use MotoTRBO (DMR) and the 'e' version for firmware updates via WiFi.

Jeffrey Hinckley
Jul 28, 2018

This is a total design build conversation, based on VHF, UHF, and 800 MHz solutions in the 2-way field.  In my past, I was an RF Engineer for Microwave systems (1 GHZ+), so never delved into the Radio wave market (< 1 GHz).  I do know that Motorolla is the Cisco of the radio field.  Big name, high prices, and average performance.  Kenwood is typically the most cost effective solution for mobile and handhelds, but the architecture of the system comes into play which will dictate these devices.  Now with narrowband (digital) requirements by the FCC, most repeaters/transmitters/receivers on a voter based system (high power transmitters on towers, recievers throughout an area for low power mobile) determine the design.

Here is an example (in cellular/pcs terms).  At my house, I get 5 bars ATT and 3 bars Verizon, but only with Verizon can I make calls.  Why is this?  Because your phone shows receive signal strength (not receive signal strength at the tower).  Consider the design of your system and functionality above the brand of device you will carry.  The cost of the handheld/mobile devices is only a small part of the cost of an effective 2-way radio system, and whether VHF/UHF/800Mhz also comes into play.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 28, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I get 5 bars ATT and 3 bars Verizon, but only with Verizon can I make calls.

Does your ATT phone show 5 bars + No Service?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions