Class 9 Assignment - Which HD Analog Format Would You Choose? Why?

Brian Rhodes
May 31, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Of the HD analog options, which format would you choose, and why? Provide a list of at least two 'pros' and 'cons' compared against your preferred IP camera.

You may choose any - like SDI, CVI, TVI, AHD, or even 960H, but be sure to explain your reasoning behind the decision.

Example:

TVI

Pros: Hikvision backing, PTZ, and 2 way audio

Cons: Lower resolution than IP and the cost/inconvenience of adding recorders for more cameras

I think HD analog has its place in residential especially for the cost but for commercial use I would stick with IP.

xiaoxiao zhu
Jun 03, 2018
IPVMU Certified

HDCVI

Pros: Dahua backing, HDCVI version3.0 has integrated with platforms HDCVI, AHD, TVI, IP and analog, the signal can be extended as far as 1,200 meters by using 75-5 cable

Cons: the cost/inconvenience of adding recorders, the front end(HDCVI Camera) and the back end(HDCVI NVR) need to be used together.

I still like use IP camera and general NVR

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 04, 2018

HDCVI 3.0

Pros: Simple and ease of installation such as can be plugged into the DVRs using coaxial cable. Low-cost and easy-to-build. Power can be directly supplied over coaxial cable.

Cons: Additional cost of balun, encoders and specific recorders.

I prefer IP camera as it gives wider range of IP product and can be integrate easily other IP devices 

JA
Jeremy Allegretta
Jun 05, 2018
IPVMU Certified

AHD.

1. Increasing support

2. Coax cable CG59 compatibility

3. Crazy low cost cameras

4. 5MP cameras are now available and provide amazing image quality for an analog camera.

I still prefer IP over any type of HD analog for 3 reasons:

1. Amount of features and tweaking that can be done on IP is no contest. 

2. For most basic IP models, offer a good number of features at a cost that's not astronomically higher than HD analog.

3. While you can run power along side the BNC cable (Siamese), you still need the power adapter to power the single camera or a great big additional box to power all of them.  90% of the basic IP cameras are PoE devices (Power over Ethernet), which means you you just run the one Ethernet cable for the camera and connect it directly into the NVR for power; no additional power adapters, no additional boxes, and no additional cables.

Ng Choy Mei
Jun 07, 2018
IPVMU Certified

1080P SONY Exmor Sensor (TVI/AHD/CVI/1200tvl) 2.8-12mm Manual Zoom HD Security Camera, Honic 2MP Varifocal IR CCTV Cameras, Outdoor Waterproof Day Night...

Pros: varifocal and IR (day & night), network not required.

COns: Higher resolution, camera need to be supplied with power whereas IP cameras can take supply from PoE switch. 

BB
Bruce Bloomer
Jun 07, 2018
IPVMU Certified

HD-TVI

Pros: DVR compatibility, no pixilation, 700' transmission over Cat5

Cons: Requires wire, requires DVR, requires conversion to use over IP

I would prefer using HD in a small business setting as it needs wire and a DVR. The increase in affordable wireless IP, PTZ cameras that have on board storage make them what I would use at home.

SB
SANDEEP BELWAL
Jun 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Hikvision turbo HD cameras.

Pros : High resolution cameras also available upto 5MP doem and bullet cameras .

Less costing as compared to IP cameras with good resolution of image.

Cons : Cable has to lay all the way from camera to DVR which still is drawback whereas in IP the camera can be connected to the nearest network switch.

Power adaptor are used with camera to provide the power input wheres in IP the power can be delivered through POE switch

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Jun 08, 2018

If I was to install an analog camera, I would choose HD-TVI. 

I can run the cable longer distance, as was as multiple manufacturers have developed solutions using this format.

Pro's 

Cable length beyond the 300 foot mark.

Cost Evective

Relative easy installation.

Con's

I would need to install additional Analog encoder for the VMS I currently use.

May not meet the needs for resolution customer is needing.

With our market primarily in the commercial industry, IP cameras are a better fit.

All the network structure is already in place, and the customers can easily access the video within their network.

CS
Chris Sims
Jun 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

HDCVI

Pro- low cost and dont need extra cabling for PTZ cameras data

Cons - needing encoders and specific recorders

I would prefer IP cameras overall for POE power and camera options.

SD
Saralyn Dasig
Jun 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

CVI 

Pros:

-Higher megapixel camera models are available, with good performance in full light, low light, and higher contrast scenes.

-Supports cable runs up to 1,500' without much degradation. 

-Supports some advanced features seen in IP cameras

Cons:

Limited framerate, but for applications that analog is most used in, 15FPS should be sufficient.

Analog HD are lower cost, but are still limited in their advanced features, and require coax cables, and external power supplies. Newer IP cameras, like Meraki MV, can put installed easily without cabling infrastructure, and will be able to connect wirelessly, and use a PoE injector for power.

TF
Tre'von Fulson
Jun 09, 2018

HD-BL40 HD

HD-SDI

Pros: Weatherproof, 1080p compatible, Infrared LEDs

Cons: Only compatible with Sony DVR

I think that analog can be helpful due to the ease of setup. However analog, in my opinion, has not as much use in the large business market.

Pertti Tilja
Jun 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

My choise would be HDCVI.

Overall performance being close to what IP cameras can provide (low light and WDR), also, the relative long cable ranges makes them easier to place.

I like that I can find products from major manufacturer such as Honeywell, which I expect to provide decent warranty and support.

Concerns: not really much except that most buildings nowadays are increasingly providing Ethernet based infrastructure. However, I don't see this as an issue as long as the installation base or project size can be covered relatively easily which should keep labor & material costs in control. Also, 15fps in most cases is enough, except for perhaps some govt. entities that may have requirement for higher fps.

CL
Chin Liang Benjamin Lee
Jun 10, 2018
IPVMU Certified

HD-TVI

Pros: 1. No compression, so no video quality loss

Pros: 2. Real-time video display, without any transmission signal delay

Cons: 1. Limited video resolution 1080p/720p 

Cons: 2. Wiring and Installing is a little more complex

Above is comparing HD-TVI with IPC. Next, since nowadays backend infrastructure of companies are IT/Network based, I would stick with IP. Although AHD still has its place for the cost in commercial use.

TM
Terrence McDonald
Jun 10, 2018

HD-CVI

Pros: 720p resolution

Advertises day/night capability

Cost

Cons: Lack of lens adjustment capability

Need for additional storage

John Dornik
Jun 10, 2018
Integrated Access Security • IPVMU Certified

HD-CVI

The ability to integrate with AHD, TVI IP and Analog

low cost.

I think HD Analog is a good fit for customers with ageing large analog systems that are aware that they are choosing an option that will give them as good if not better quality views but will not allow them to take advantage of current or developing features of IP systems. Ie: image manipulation, analytics etc.

MH
Mark Hamel
Jun 11, 2018
Wayne State University • IPVMU Certified

TVI:

2.0 Megapixel HD-TVI/AHD/CVBS/HD-CVI Varifocal IR Turret Security Camera

65' smart IR range
  • 2.0 MP 1/2.7" CMOS Sensor
  • 1080P@25, 1080P@30
  • 4-in-one HD-TVI, AHD, HD-CVI, CVBS Selectable Output (LEFT:CVBS, RIGHT:TVI, DOWN:CVI, UP:HD-CVI)
  • 2.8-12 mm wide angle 114°- 28° FOV lens
  • 65' smart IR range
  • ICR filter
  • IP66, operating temperature of 14°F ~ 122°F

PROS: Joystick Movable Remotely / IP 66 Rated

CONS: Power Separate / Supply Not Inlcuded & Not IP Based / BNC Connections

Michael Ames
Jun 11, 2018
IPVMU Certified

TVI for sure. It's a great overall solution and i'm familiar with it. ...Especially if the customer has existing cable pulled and want to make a cost effective upgrade from an analog system. I would go with Costar Video or i3 International before offering Hikvision.

Pros: Cost-effective while still providing great quality. More and more quality hardware being designed to support more features.

Cons: A major loss of potential business intelligence... no analytics with expensive encoders and additional hardware to support. 

Note: If a new install is required - I always recommend IP but analog upgrades are a key driver for TVI. 

AN
Andrew Norcom
Jun 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

HD-SDI

We use this format for several of our mid and long range systems chiefly because that is the only output format for the sensors involved. Also, some of our users prefer to have the raw feed (uncompressed) depending on the application.

Pros: Can handle uncompressed 1920x1080p video streams and does so on standard RG-59.

Cons: Cable runs are limited to around 400 ft. if using coax. Also, there are encoders for HD-SDI but there is no cost-competitive way to do this conversion.

JM
Justin Matos
Jun 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

CVI

Pros - Inexpensive, easy to upgrade from older analog camera systems

Cons - Can only record in 1080p (no 4K), cameras need separate power (no PoE)

ER
Erica Rennig
Jun 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Out of the HD analog formats, I would choose CVI.

Pros: (1) Similar image quality to IP cameras, (2) Longer cable support, and (3) Cost advantages

Cons: (1) Limited framerate, (2) The need for special receivers and encoding hardware

I think HD analog has come a long way, but still prefer IP over analog HD for PoE reasons.

Joseph Marotta
Jun 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

If I was forced to choose, I would pick CVI because... 1. it's not Hikvision supported, and 2. it seems to be as good as TVI format, and 3. does SDI still exist?

Pro - Hikvision cameras won't work on this system (security reasons), resolutions supported are up to 4+MP, inexpensive camera cost when compared to similar resolution in an IP camera, easier to install than IP systems (plug and play), longer cable distances are possible (1000+ feet) compared to IP cameras (295 feet without an extender). great choice for retrofitting a legacy coax system, good choice for residential and small business projects that don't require a lot of cameras.

Con - CVI is incompatible with other HD analog formats (TVI, AHD, or SDI), requires a CVI compatible recorder/encoding hardware, limited camera features available when compared to IP format cameras, installing coax for new projects greatly limits future options.

GP
Giovanni Piazza
Jun 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

CVI

Pros:  long cable performance, with cable lengths up to ~1,500' (~457m) showing little to no visible degradation.  the 4MP camera, delivered similar image quality to their IP equivalents in full light, low light, and WDR scenes.  Once only supported by Dahua, in 2016, Dahua changed their position with their 3.0 release, opening up support for AHD and TVI on their HD analog recorders.

Cons: The main limitation is framerate, as current cameras are capable of only 15 FPS

TH
Trevor Hansen
Jun 15, 2018

I would chose HD CVI.

Pros:

4 Channel hdcvi cameras are 1920x1080p Resolution and provide Night Vision also.

It rotates 75 Degree screening Angle.

You can implement an HD system using the same coax cables that your existing analog system is running on.

Cons:

It is limited to 1080P.

It is a lower cost than IP.

The speed of the video transition is in real time.

LF
Leo Fischer
Jun 18, 2018

Dahua 4MP HD Analog A43AG23

pro:

-similar quality image to IP counterpart

-35-40% lower cost

-longer cable up to 450meters

con:

-max frame rate is 15FPS for 1520p

Great camera for small or simpler systems

Andrius Dapkevicius
Jun 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I'd choose TVI, because of Hikvision backing. They are planning new Turbo HD upgrade (http://oversea-download.hikvision.com/uploadfile/Leaflet/Brochure/3-Product%20Brochure/Turbo%20HD%205.0.pdf), which will be interesting to test. The main advantage in Lithuania, I would say, is very cheap renewal of old analog systems. However, as the main minuses would point out little assortment, as compared with many variances of IP cameras, and few features/analytics supported by analog cameras.

Walter Holm
Jun 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified
TVI
Pros: Low cost, popular vendor support, can use existing coax cable infrastructure
Cons: Analog, less features
FG
Frank Gonzalez
Jun 19, 2018
ENS Security • IPVMU Certified

TVI

pros- lowered costs, 5MP is now available. less network consumption , dont have to put ip cameras on customers network.

cons- have to run separate power, TVI cameras do not use poe. does not support 4k resolution, unlike ip cameras.

Konstantin GRIGORENKO
Jun 25, 2018
IPVMU Certified

HDCVI

Pros 

power over coaxial, long distance , 4 MP 

cons

specific recorders, can not use local ip infrastructure , not so user friendly interface ,  not full frame rate at 4 mp

Good for small objects  , for big projects better IP solution

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions