How Integrators Use IPVMBy Brian Karas, Published on May 24, 2017
150 integrators explained how they use IPVM and how it helps them stay informed and improve their business.
The 4 main uses integrators cited for IPVM were:
Integrators recognize the resources required to perform these tests, with some commenting they found the tests most valuable because they lack the time or resources to perform similar evaluations on their own.
- "Mostly video surveillance product comparison. Seems like comparisons are in depth not just surface comparisons. Saves us time and money by not having to do ourselves.
- "Real, hands-on product data. We don't have the time to do all of the tests, and don't want to buy test equipment for every one of these things. There's been a lot of good information on the business front lately though."
- "Seeing tests and comparisons is critical, I can't afford to buy one of every camera to see what might be the best solution for clients or take the time to test everything."
- "Testing on new products, saves me from demoing a cameras on our own. News as well. Keeps me update to date on whats going in the industry."
- "Find out about new products and trends. Use it to see reviews and the pros/cons of new products. The information is accurate and concise."
- "Keep up to date with new products and features. Also get info on major vendors like rankings in various categories."
- "Technical and application data about cctv products. I think the tests are important"
- "Camera testing and shootouts. We tried to do this internally many years ago. Your testing is more thorough and we just didn't have the time to do it."
- "New product information, industry trends, equipment review / shootouts. IPVM is great as an independent source of information."
- "Shoot outs and testing of new products"
News / Market Information
Reports on industry trends, analysis of large and small companies, and examinations of key industry happenings are released every weekday. These reports are intended to keep IPVM members aware of factors that can impact their business, and informed on emerging topics.
- "Insider info & unusual insight such as Hikvision ownership, race to bottom etc"
- "Industry news update, to analyze trends."
- "News on OEM's and new products. Need more on emerging tech."
- "IPVM is usually ahead of the curve when it comes to manufacturer issues, firmware problems, etc. that can have a direct impact on our current customers and I find this very useful."
- "UNBIASED information on products and manufacturers with informed comments and opinions."
- "I like reading about the latest news about manufacturers."
- "General industry news and product tests. I like that IPVM is a pre-filtered source for relevant information, I say pre-filtered because the staff at IPVM obviously know the industry to the information is properly focused. "
- "Daily updates on the industry. Mainly CCTV / IP-video"
- "IPVM original content is the biggest reason I am subscribed, the discussion board is a bonus, but I don't spend as much time in there as I would like. "
- "News and technical updates, the only source which is not biased"
- "Staying current with the industry, using the calculator and other tools, and searching on products I've not used before to find more information."
- "To try and stay current on new concepts, issues, and products."
- "To be up-to-date about the security market"
- "Industry analysis and news, unbiased camera and solution system tests"
Discussions / Peer Feedback
Feedback from other integrators was also frequently mentioned. IPVM provides this in the form of comments/discussions available on every report or test published, as well as in our Discussions section, where members can pose questions or problems to the IPVM community to get feedback from our global membership. Additionally, IPVM conducts regular surveys on targeted topics, which integrators often find insightful and helpful in making decisions within their own company.
- "I enjoy reading about the experiences that other integrators have related to the products that we use. IPVM is usually ahead of the curve when it comes to manufacturer issues, firmware problems, etc. that can have a direct impact on our current customers and I find this very useful."
- "The feed back from members in the comments also gives a unique perspective that can confirm or conflict with my own views over a wide range of topics."
- "The Surveys have been really good lately also."
- "The members here are really knowledgeable and helpful."
- "I'm personally very interested in the state of the industry info, other members perspective, and product announcements/reviews."
- "Surveys and member questions. Just like to try to get an inside scoop before our customers and competitors."
- "I love the forum and the blog articles and mini polls you take far more than anything else."
- "It's an excellent forum to get insight on what other integrators are thinking, directly from the source. Also an excellent platform to exchange ideas as to where the industry should be heading. My feeling is that the industry as a whole is currently rudderless, and reacting to "change" being imposed upon it rather than leading it and controlling it."
- "I like to see some of the feedback from other integrators."
Tools, such as our Camera Calculator and Camera Finder help integrators design professional-looking proposals and find the right camera for a specific set of requirements. These tools have all been custom developed by IPVM, tailored to integrator requirements and feedback on their usage.
- "I use the calculator exclusively for all my design. Kudos on that by the way. Exactly what I was looking for! That tool make my design and bids stick out from the rest."
- "Tools - to create impressive site maps for clients to understand the areas of a property that will be covered. Most don't understand what is under the bonnet but can follow a map!"
- "We use the calculator a lot for customers to see what a rough coverage area will be for an installation."
- "Camera calculator is fantastic, and I love the tests you do on the cameras and hearing about all the other people in our security industry"
- "The camera calculator is a very useful tool and the tutorials are clear, concise and easy to understand."
- "I also use the Calculator tool as a sales tool for my clients often."
- "Calculator, very useful for projects"
- "Camera Calculator / Mapping are great and useful."
- "To keep up to date with new product testing and compatibility. And I utilize the tools/calculators for a better comprehension of real world functionality."
- "Camera calculator, finder and tools, discussions. Research."