Free VMS Software DirectoryAuthor: IPVM Team, Published on Jan 13, 2017
Many Video Management Software (VMS) providers offer free versions, either open source, for a limited number of cameras or for a limited amount of time.
These options may help users with limited needs or those looking to test out VMS before buying it.
We have compiled a list of open-source, restricted use, and trial-version VMSes in this report.
Open source options for VMSes are limited, with only a handful available:
- Camlytics - Free, unlimited camera VMS. Paid version adds video analytics, camera events, and heat mapping features.
- iSpy - Visual Studio 2015 source code is available as well as precompiled installable versions.
- Kerberos - Free Raspberry PI based VMS, Kerberos.io connects to IP cameras through RTSP streams. Optional people counting analytics and cloud storage of alarm/motion events.
- motionEyes - Open source, Linux distribution that turns a single-board computer (Raspberry PI) and USB camera into a IP camera with embedded VMS.
- OpenCVR/Rapidvms from veyesys
- Shinobi - Open source VMS, developed in node.js
- Valkka - Open source VMS, python codebase, ONVIF camera support
- veyesys Rapidvms - Offers opensource code for most of the VMS platforms, but some components are only available as binaries.
- Zoneminder - Offers precompiled packages for linux distros, and also open source code.
Free With Restricted Use
These products all work without any timeout period, but generally have limitations around the number of channels or the amount of storage supported in the free version.
- Alnet Systems Netstation - 4 channels, 7 days recording, software login required every 8 hours
- Argus DVR - Fully functional demo, displays "Unregistered" watermark on video
- Arteco Me - 2 channels
- ATVideo VMS - No restrictions
- Axxon Next - 4 channels, 1TB storage
- Devline Line - 16 channels, no time limit, but only offers live viewing, no recording
- Eocortex - video streaming stops every hour, limitation of up to 400 IP channels and 1 server, up to 4 GB storage; free full-featured trial upon request
- GeniusVision NVR - 16 channels, non-commercial use only
- Herospeed VMS - 64 channels, but partially stolen from Milestone / Video Insight
- ipConfigure Orchid - 4 Channels/128GB storage free. Raspberry Pi version with no hard limits, effectively limited to 4-8 cameras, depending on resolution
- ISS SecureOS - 4 channels
- Luxriot Evo - 1080p max resolution supported
- March Networks Command Lite - 6 channels, 1 week of recording
- Milestone Essential - 8 channels, no storage limits, requires annual renewal for free license key
- NovoSun - 64 channels
- Pelco DigitalSentry - 4 channels
- Pelco VideoXpert Professional - 1 year trial (renewable) for 4 channels
- Sighthound - 1 channel, low resolution only
- Trassir - 8 channels
Free For Trial Period
Products in this group generally offer full functionality, but timeout after a limited period.
- Aimetis Symphony - 30 day trial
- Avigilon Control Center - 30 day trial of Enterprise product, sales people can provide 180 day trial keys
- Axis Camera Station - 30 day trial
- Blue Iris - 15 day trial with watermark on video
- CathexisVision - 5 channels, 60 day trial
- Digital Watchdog Spectrum - 4 cameras, 30 day trial
- Digifort VMS - 30 day trial
- Exacq - 45 day trial, request key here
- Hanwha SSM - 45 day trial with all features, free with limited features after 45 days
- Hanwha Wisenet Wave - 30 day trial, up to 4 cameras
- IndigoVision Control Center - 5 camera/45 day trial, longer trial periods can be requested
- Logiware go1984 - 30 day trial
- Ksenos - 90 day trial
- Macroscop - 30 day trial
- Milestone XProtect - 30 day trial of any version, 8 channels/5 days storage
- netavis Observer - 30 day trial, 20 channels
- Network Optix nxWitness - 4 cameras, 30 day trial
- OnSSI Occularis - 30 day trial, requires providing project/user details
- SecuritySpy - (runs on OS X) 30 day trial
- SeeTec Cayuga - 30 day trial
- Sony RealShot Manager 30 day trial for up to 32 channels
- Vicon Valerus - 30 day trial
- VideoInsight VI Monitor - 60 day trial, up to 99 cameras
- Wavestore VMS - 30 day trial
Free With Same-Brand Cameras
Several manufacturers have VMSes that do not require a license when used with their own brand of cameras, these are listed here.
- ACTi NVR - Free for use with ACTi cameras + 1 free channel for non-ACTi cameras
- Axis Camera Companion - Only works with Axis cameras, 16 channel limit
- GeoVision G-VMS - Free for up to 32 GeoVision devices
- Mobotix Control Center - Free for Mobotix cameras
- Sony RealShot Manager - 9 channels free for use with Sony cameras
- Ubiquiti Unifi NVR - Free for Ubiquiti cameras
- Video Insight VI Monitor - Free when used with Panasonic cameras
- Vivotek VAST - 32 channels free when used with Vivotek cameras
If you know of other free VMSes please post comments and we will add them to the list.
[Note: this was originally published in 2012 but was substantially revised in 2017.]
5 reports cite this report:
Most Recent Industry Reports
The world's leading video surveillance information source, IPVM provides the best reporting, testing and training for 10,000+ members globally. Dedicated to independent and objective information, we uniquely refuse any and all advertisements, sponsorship and consulting from manufacturers.