Vidient held an interesting webinar on using video analytics for transit applications (trains, subways, etc.). Read the accompanying whitepaper or access the 30 minutes webinar (password - "VidientRail"). [Webinar is no longer available.]
Key takeways from the webinar:
- They are focusing on three applications: (1) track/tunnel intrusions, (2) rail yard protection and (3) abandoned object, though 1 and 2 seem to be more widely used.
- They report that they have developed/optimized an algorithm that can recognize/eliminate alerts for trains moving through (not alerting on trains is essential because of the nuisance alarm issue)
- They tune their system to handle low light inside tunnels. Following up with Vidient, they told me that they have tested their system to work down to .5 lux. As for tuning, they record sample video from the scene and when necessary adjust parameters in their video lab. I know some vendors claims zero config but I am very skeptical about zero config performance in difficult conditions like tunnels.
- Vidient's client - a US state transit agency stated that with false alarms, the 'system becomes more of a distraction than anything else" and that "false alarms are important to determine the success of the system." This is a point I emphasize repeatedly.
- In a follow up with Vidient, they recommend customers set reasonable time limits for delay in triggering abandoned objects like 10 minutes. I think this is prudent and necessary as its essentially impossible to trigger such alerts after 30 seconds without generating a flood of nuisance alarms. This may detract from its 'sex appeal' and theoretical potential but is a sound operational way to use it.
Finally, see an article on Vidient on their St Louis Metro project
in which they report 97% accuracy and only 1 false alert every 3 days per camera.
Related Reports on Video Analytics
Best and Worst ISC West 2018
on Apr 16, 2018
ISC West 2018 had strong attendance, modest overall new products, and a surge in Artificial Intelligence marketing.
First, here are 20+...
Eocortex / Macroscop VMS Company Profile
on Apr 09, 2018
Eocortex is the international brand of Russian VMS manufacturer Macroscop. Macroscop was founded in 2008, and the Eocortex name created in 2013. We...
Destructive Video Analytics Hype Returns
on Mar 27, 2018
It is not just Hikvision's false advertising campaign.
With marketing money being pumped into deep learning, we are returning to the bad old...
Axis Z-Wave IP Camera Tested Poorly
on Mar 20, 2018
Z-Wave is drawing notable interest for video surveillance use. In IPVM's initial coverage, 84% expressed interest in it, with nearly half being...
Video Analytics Usage Statistics 2018
on Mar 09, 2018
Video analytics is hot again (one of the top 2 trends going into this year), this time driven by deep learning and artificial intelligence.
Directory of 50+ LPR / ANPR Providers
on Feb 21, 2018
License Plate Recognition / Automatic Number Plate Recognition are a type of video analytics software that can identify and match license / number...
Hikvision DeepInMind Tested Terribly
on Feb 15, 2018
While Hikvision is heavily marketing deep learning and 'AI' as their next big thing, new IPVM test results of their DeepInMind NVR shows their deep...
Most Recent Industry Reports
DMP Adds Ring Video Doorbell Integration
on Apr 24, 2018
Video doorbells have become one of the hottest items for security systems. After several years with no doorbell, DMP has announced integration with...
Milestone 2017 Financials Examined
on Apr 24, 2018
For ISC West 2018, Milestone released ... their financials, touting "strong revenue growth in 2017". However, there were discrepancies with the...
Favorite Biometrics 2018
on Apr 23, 2018
Biometrics are on the rise, or at least integrator opposition to them is declining, according to new IPVM integrator statistics.
Almost half of...
May 2018 Camera Course
on Apr 20, 2018
Save $50 on early registration until this Thursday, the 26th. Register now (save $50) for the Spring 2018 Camera Course
This is the only...
April 2018 IP Networking Course
on Apr 19, 2018
This is the last chance to register for our IP Networking course. Register now.
NEW - 2 sessions per class, 'day' and 'night' to give you double...