Is it ever legal to lock people into a building?
The answer is: Yes... under specific situations.
With so much of access control driven by life safety codes, and a predominant focus of 'free egress' during an emergency, 'delayed egress' may run counter to common sense.
In this note, we explain the code, share real world applications and installation issues.
The sections inside cover:
- The Major Codes Allowing Delayed Egress
- But Some AHJs Forbid Regardless
- All Applications Specifically Limited By Code
- Fire Alarm Override Required
- Nuisance Delay Optional
- Real-World Delayed Egress Applications
- How It Is Implemented - Panic Bars, Access Control Systems and 'Exit Check' devices