Subscriber Discussion

What Video Decoders Can Handle 1080p / 60fps?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 16, 2019

I have a bit of a unique install and having problems finding a product that can meet the specs.  The client wants to be able to broadcast the feed from their camera on to a video wall. They want 1080p @ 60 FPS, I have found several cams that are more than capable but am having trouble finding a decoder that can do that. Everything seems to be either 720p @ 60 FPS or 1080p @ 30 FPS.

Has anyone else run into a similar situation? What was your solution?

BE
Brian Elias
Mar 16, 2019

Check out BrightSign units.  They’re meant for digital signage but the high end models have pretty high performance H264 decoders.  I’ve had good luck using as decoders. 

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 16, 2019
IPVM

Brian, thanks! 

Their product comparison page shows 1080p/60 support:

I checked one of the models listed and it seems relatively inexpensive:

BE
Brian Elias
Mar 16, 2019

I’ve used the XD / XT line but it looks like the HD will handle 60fps too.  I’d check their codec page as well to see the max bitrate.  You might find you need the horsepower of the higher model.

There’s a bit of a learning curve with them but not awful.  

(1)
JS
Joe S
Mar 16, 2019

Thanks for the info, this might solve my issue. Im assuming once configured they are consistent and reliable? As in they will always boot up and play the stream they are configured for without any intervention.

BE
Brian Elias
Mar 16, 2019

My experience so far has been excellent - no reliability issues once up and running.  They will attempt to re-acquire a stream if dropped.  They can also be configured to send a still image snapshot of what’s on the screen every X minutes for verification.   They’re intended for things like digital advertising and those interactive kiosk stand things (like airports / hotels) so they tend to stress reliability and up-time.

They are limited to only a single H264 stream on the lower end devices, but the higher end (I believe XT) can display 2 streams.  There’s no practical limit on MJPEG streams.  Layout is completely customizable (drag / drop placement and sizing).

Hope that helps a bit.  

(1)
JS
Joe S
Mar 16, 2019

Very helpful, thanks again

JS
Joe S
Mar 19, 2019

I got one of the brightsign players, when you build your brightsign project are you using the "video stream" media type and than pointing to the cams rtsp url?

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 19, 2019

Hanwha Decoder says 120fps at 8mp

SPD-150

Might look at Barco or Christie.

BE
Brian Elias
Mar 19, 2019

Joey:  Yes.  I'm in a video zone and using "Video Stream" or "MJPEG stream" depending on H264 or mjpeg.  Yes to RTSP URL.  (Can also use an image zone with MJPEG)

If you want a sample BrightAuthor presentation PM me and I'll send it to you (configured for Axis).

Also (this one took me a painfully long time to figure out):  in their Edit --> Layout tab, the pixels specified actually need to be divided by 2...so when they show 2048 x 1080, in reality it's 4096 x 2160.  No idea why....

- Brian

JS
Joe S
Mar 19, 2019

How do I PM you? Im new here and PMs dont seem to work like most forums

BE
Brian Elias
Mar 19, 2019

Hmm. I think I just turned on the option for it.  Do you see an email icon next to my name on the postings?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions