Similar to our school surveillance guide, we are going to do one on city surveillance. On Monday, we are sending out an integrator survey to gather responses.
What questions should we ask? What would you like to know about city surveillance systems?
I will start with some questions to get this started:
- What is the mix of camera types? What percentage are fixed vs PTZ cameras? Why?
- What is the percentage of cameras connected via fiber vs wireless? What drives that?
- What type of storage is used? DAS? NAS? SAN? Why?
- How long is video being stored typically? Why?
- How often are video analytics being used? What types? Why or why not?
- Who generally pays for the city system?
- What type of integration (access control, intrusion, police dispatch, etc.) are typical?
- How is maintenance paid for and handled? How often are their problems in paying or performing service?
- What is the main objectives / use of the city surveillance system?
- Who uses the city surveillance system? Are there dedicated staff monitoring cameras? Why or why not?
Ok, what would you add?