Subscriber Discussion

What Happens If One Hard Drive Fails On A Hikvision DS-96000NI-I24/H?

DM
David Matyas
Apr 26, 2018

What happens if one hard drive fails on a Hikvision DS-96000NI-I24/H? Do you lose all the data? Does it stop recording until replaced?

Thanks

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 26, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

David, it all depends on your RAID configuration, or lack thereof. Do you know which level of RAID (if any) was in use before the drive went offline? Do you know how many drives were in that array (if using RAID)?

That unit has 24 drive interfaces and supports RAID 0,1,5,6,&10, so there are plenty of possibilities.

RAID 0 would mean that you have two drives that evenly split the data. A failure in RAID 0 would mean a loss of half of the data

RAID 1 would have two drives with the same data on each. A drive failure shouldn't lose any data, because the second drive should have the same data.

RAID 5 should survive a single drive failure. RAID 5 uses a minimum of 3 drives and can lose one and run in degraded mode. Replacing the dead drive will allow you to rebuild it from the parity on the other two drives.

RAID 6 is similar to RAID 5, but requires a minimum of 4 drives and can survive a 2 drive failure.

RAID 10 combines both RAID 1 and RAID 0, hence RAID 10, which requires a minimum of 4 drives and can also survive a 2 drive failure.

(1)
(1)
JR
Jarad Regan
Apr 30, 2018

When a RAID 0 array fails, you lose all the data across all disks.  It writes part of each file to each disk in the array, which is way faster but the speed comes with a huge increase in risk.  It is great for large temporary files in things like video editing, but is not really appropriate for any kind of data retention so hopefully it wasnt in use here.

Agree we need more information before being able to determine the consequences of a single drive failure here.  Hopefully RAID 5 or 6 was implemented. I haven't used the Hikvision recorder, so I don't know what the default config is.  We use a lot of Dell servers in RAID 6 so we can tolerate 2 failed drives because customers dont usually notice very quickly.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions