In the next week, we'll be starting a test of a few different EoC adapters. Right now the list includes:
- Veracity HIGHWIRE PowerStar, since it's the top tier model from Veracity, one of the big names in EoC (or at least as big a name as you can be in the market).
- Altronix eBridge, since it's lower cost and we've heard a number of integrators start using it.
- EnConn Mini Power, which is lower cost than even the eBridge.
For testing, it seems the key factors to take into account are:
- Ease of use: is it simply plug and play? Are connections made reliably? What usability issues are there?
- Are there noticeable increases in latency and packet loss?
- How does throughput match up to typical UTP Ethernet links?
- How do all of the above vary at different lengths of cable?
Is there anything else we should be looking for?