Subscriber Discussion

Switch Selection For 150 Cameras In 50+ Floor Building

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 11, 2017

All,

We typically use the Cisco Small Business series for our switches (most locations is the SF300-24P). We are bidding to do a building that is 50+ floors with 4 rooms that will house the switches that power and handle communication for the ~150 cameras. We have the recorders all together in the basement in their central comm area. The design would be to use the SFP ports to terminate fiber running between the rooms (top fibers to middle, middle to lower, lower to basement) as well as a homerun to the basement fro the top and middle rooms to the basement.

I'm looking for any advice or commentary on if this series of switch is going to have any latency issues that could be fixed by using a higher powered switch. I got in over my head with switch specs like Mpps (million packers per secon) where I am not sure what the pack size is of an IP camera, so it is hard to judge it these will suffice. I am good on POE budget (cameras are around 4W) and port capacity with this layout.

Anyone with any experience have recommendations for stepping up a notch with switches? Should I be concerned?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 11, 2017

The swich chain should not be an issue. In your situation I would plan 10G links between the switches and add a (redundant) fiber ring structure (RSTP or better) to reduce downtime and cascading effects if one of the switches fails. 

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 12, 2017

If you want to make the system super easy to manage and trouble shoot look at UniFi from Ubiquiti.  Just completed a similar size project with Unifi and I love how we can see which port every camera is plugged into in each switch all in one simple interface.   You can use 10GB uplinks with a 10GB fiber switch if you need it. 

(1)
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 12, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I agree with Michael above. I love the Unifi switches. As an aside note, the Edge Switch series will have central management, just like the Unifi line very soon (UNMS)

MM
Michael Miller
Sep 12, 2017

I have been testing UNMS for a couple of weeks.  I am not sure this is ever going to have the level of detail about your client devices as UNIFI.  I am also getting some Meraki outers and switches to play with and looking for others to test. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 02, 2017

Looked at the ubiquiti switches and they seem pretty interesting and might be a good fit. I cannot find anything about a dealer program at all and they are available online for the same price as a distributor at basically MSRP.

The newer version of the Cisco small business line is a pretty significant price jump. I really don't want to spec old technology, how do you guys sell the ubiquiti line with those margins?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Oct 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We typically do not put part #'s on bids. But if it comes up, simply tell them distributor and Amaon pricing are the same. You have to have a markup and customers understand. I have one client who we buy Ubiquiti for. They used to buy themselves, program, and hire some guys to hang. We now handle it from start to finish.We charge xx markup, plus labor. That way if an item goes up in price, we adjust. They appreciate the value we bring.

Bottom line is you are not Amazon, and your client should realize you bring a lot more value.

150 cameras and labor is quite a bit of work. Even if you sold those switches at cost, I suspect you have enough margin in the rest to cover it.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 02, 2017

Dlink

P/N # 121028P

POE+ 24 ports less than $300

Great performance for the cost

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions