Subscriber Discussion

How To Handle Vandalized Cameras?

MM
Michael Mathieson
Mar 21, 2017

Hi have a school site with a number of cameras most are Hikvision mini vandal proof domes and a couple of the Hikvision Turrett cameras however we are having problems with people vandalizing the cameras either spray painting them or pulling them off. As the buildings are all single storey it is hard to get them to a height where that is not a problem. Any suggestions of other ways of ensuring they are protected ?. I have thought of putting in more cameras so that they at least cover each other with overlapping zones but that would be quite expensive

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 21, 2017

I used to work for a company that only did schools.  We pretty much just told our customers that camera replacement was the nature of the beast.  65% of the time, you can catch the vandal in the archives.  The school would suspend the student and bill the parents.  These cameras were $900 installed, so that started shutting it down pretty quickly.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 21, 2017

Get cameras with tampering detection and set up an alert.

(1)
(1)
Brandon Knutson
Mar 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In response to your suggestion... I've tried tampering detection on my Samsung/Hanwha cameras, but even on the lowest sensitivity setting I found they would false within a day of being deployed. Maybe other brands have more reliable tampering detection.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions