The goal of this post to get feedback, ideas, and suggestions from fellow integrators on a startup idea. Your participation and comments are very valuable and greatly appreciated. Since we are still in our early stages, our business plan is malleable and will change in the direction that fits best.
Our plan is to build a web based managed VMS solution that will be sold as a subscription for the small business market (less than 20+ cameras).
Advantages to our system:
1-Easy to install. No server or software setup needed. Simply add cameras/Encoders to the website
2-Video will be stored on the edge
3-We will maintain and manage software updates. Users will stay current with all new devices,browsers and operating systems.
4-Solution is build and only influenced by small business needs and requests. We are not building a monster software and locking down features to make it small business friendly.
5-Ability to manage users access, notification alerts, share video and (any future features) across multiple locations online from one dashbord.
6- Open to any other suggestions
Target end user
Our potential customer is a small business owner who have the following characteristics:
- Own one or more locations requiring 4 - 20 cameras in each location.
- Use a legacy analog security camera system.
- Wants to expand his security camera system by adding new IP cameras.
- Ability to view and playback video from any (current or future) mobile device or browsers.
- Grant access to other users to monitor the security cameras.
- Share videos securely with other people.
- Small business client base
- Looking for a cost competitive solution to approach existing clients and to better compete in the market
- Values recurring revenue
- Looking for an easy to deploy systems. No server, No software
We are looking to charge the customer between $60- $100 /month and split the revenue with the integrator or buy the account upfront similar to what is done in the alarm business.
- 16 Ch encoders with 2 TB onboard storage: $600
- Indoor MP Camera: $150
- Outdoor MP Camera: $250
- Large VMS’s
- NVR solution units
- Cloud hosted solution
1- Large VMS’s are built to handle 10000+ camera applications. They usually run on a windows platform , software is too complicated and does not address small business needs. Most attempts to break in to the small business market were by simply locking up features in the software and lowering cost.
2- NVR solution units. We believe eventually these units will post the same issues that end users are having currently with DVRs (they don’t work with new smart phones, MAC, etc). With the exception of some, these are manufactured by hardware companies that are less motivated to keep up with software updates and want you to continuously buy new hardware.
3- Cloud hosted video solution. We believe that we will eventually move toward hosting video. Currently, hosted video is too expensive, required bandwidth is not available in most locations and the end user does not care where is the video stored.
Thanks in advance and Looking forward for your feedback